News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Is Youngstown's Ward-Reduction Effort Racially Motivated?

Started by jay, September 07, 2014, 08:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

tt when this old spiteful man writes or talks i tend not to listen and pay him no homage to his rants.

Towntalk

As long as the media ... press ... radio ... television are willing to give people like the gentleman in question a soap box nothing will change and he will be able to drive his wedge even deeper. Remember, this gentleman is not a politician, he's not a clergyman, he writes for a small weekly newspaper, but beyond that he's a nobody when it comes to power. A spiteful old man.

Peggy Gurney

QuotePlaying the race card is just as unfair as racially motivated mis-behaviours - both areequally ugly.  We are halfway through the second decade of the new millenium andHomo-Sapiens, as a SPECIES , needs to wake up and get over the whole race thing.

aaaaaaaaaaamen!
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

I agree with the 5 ward charter issue because of the loss of population, existing
laws that mandate a smaller council based on physical facts last census, fact that
Youngstown is still shrinking, etc.  Follow the law or face the penalties, *or*  change
the law (either/or) it's really quite simple, and the council violated the rules for years by
not taking care of this.

Every other department is expected to streamline operations, trim staff, etc - council
should be no different.  Seven council members are no longer needed to serve the
current (and still shrinking...) population and the extra salaries could go back into
the general fund for everyone.

Making all council seats at-large ...hmm... I don't know how I would feel about this
one, ie: folks worried about where each (newly-converted) council person lives in
the city, etc. 

There are advantages of having a dedicated council person for each ward who
[ideally] would live IN his or her ward and be a dedicated advocate for the
people IN that ward who would roll up their sleeves and fight hard for them.

The flip side of the same coin is that with all seats being at-large, it would be a
good counter-balance to special interests, cronyism, etc and help ALL wards' citizens
get equal  treatment and attention to [hopefully, action *ON*] issues that may be
unique to  their ward.   

One councilperson slacking off or not caring would not significantly lessen the effort
in any single ward ( in theory... but then this is Youngstown we are talking about
here.... )

As far as race, religion, origin, etc is concerned - we live in a Democracy, where
the majority of the population rules, the majority of the time (within the law) and
elections and charter amendment petitions are a refreshing sign of people exercising
their constitutional right to affect how their local government is being run and have a
voice.

I personally could not give a flying SH** what color ANYONE in local government is
or what side of town they live on - it is all about what they ARE WILLING TO DO TO
HELP THE CITIZENS AND THE CITY OF YOUNGSTOWN AND MAKE THINGS BETTER. They
could be green glow in the dark, for all I care.

Playing the race card is just as unfair as racially motivated mis-behaviours - both are
equally ugly.  We are halfway through the second decade of the new millenium and
Homo-Sapiens, as a SPECIES , needs to wake up and get over the whole race thing.

amendments and other issues are

iwasthere

the intent for this ballot issue was to streamlined ytown city government. the petition drive was to give voters another choice for representation for ytown residents. the color of one skin does not show he or she will be biased to their race. their leadership in everyday ytown city matters concerning the ytown citizens will reflect their biases by their votes. no one can blame one race or ethic grps on council when ytown residents do not come up to the plate to run for ytown city council reps.

Towntalk

I agree with you Nick, but it was Clarence Boles who tossed out the race card, and it was the Vindicator that published his letter.

Nicholas Serra

Ugh, sad world we live in when the only counter argument to an issue is "This is race related".

Towntalk

Peggy, I think you know who I was referring to, and it certainly wasn't you.

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

PD, this is exactly why people were against the 5 ward idea, but wanted to keep the race card out of it, but unfortunately the pro 5 people didn't want to listen, but instead simply chose to name call the people who didn't agree with them.
The letter to the editor should serve a a warning about the city's future.

jay

QuotePerhaps we should look at Columbus and have all city council member be "at large" instead of each council member being responsible for one district.

I bet if we elected all councilmen "at large" it wouldn't be long before every councilmen would be from the west side.  I'm basing this on past voter turn out.

PD

This issue has nothing to do with race but unfortunately certain leaders will say it is.  Youngstown has enough issues and can't afford to be divided. 
The reverse discrimination in this city is the worst I have ever seen

Towntalk

Dear Clarence N. Boles:

Racism is a two way street, something you are not willing to admit. When for example was the last time there was a White councilman representing the 2nd and 6th wards. When was the last time there was a White councilman in the 3rd ward, are there no White people living in these wards? Or are you of the view that only Blacks should be in City Government?

Our city schools are majority Black, so why not fire all the White teachers and only hire Black teachers. Would not the vastly Black student population relate better to a Black teacher than a White one?

Again, the largest racial group that commits crimes in Youngstown are Black, yet what is the racial makeup of the Youngstown Police Department? Would we not be able to end  Black on Black crime if the entire Police Department were Black?

Mr. Boles wants to be Youngstown's Rev. Al  Sharpton, and in the process drive a deep wedge into the various ethnic groups which would make what progress the city has made come to a grinding halt.
Oh and by the way, when was the last time there was a Black County Commissioner, or why are there no Black trustees inthe various townships.
If you want to play the race card Mr.Boles don't just stop at the Youngstown City Limits.

Peggy Gurney

It can become a racial issue if people MAKE it a racial issue. And they probably will.
But no, I do not believe that it was originally racially motivated.

~ Normal is overrated ~

joly1584

While I feel the original reasons for getting the issue on the ballot were financial, I can see it becoming a racial issue.

I live in Ward 5 and my neighbor has said that without knowing the boundaries of wards in advance he cannot vote for reducing the number of wards.  His reason is purely racial.  He is white and he is concerned our new ward would be combined into the south side.

This city is very divided in many ways.  Perhaps we should look at Columbus and have all city council member be "at large" instead of each council member being responsible for one district.