News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

5 Minutes With The Mayor - Tuesday, April 15

Started by jay, March 17, 2014, 05:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

AllanY2525

Kind of looks like the Tod engine's baby brother..... looks like the pieces are all there.
Does this engine still run?

Does the engine have a small starter engine on the front right side? 

Rick Rowlands

Here is the engine we are getting down in Louisville:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33523379@N03/12824841554/in/set-72157641632817423

Its going to be fun removing it.  Its on the second floor of the building.

AllanY2525

Glad you enjoyed those.  I find "big, scary looking machines" very interesting

:)

I actually took a lot more, but they're buried somewhere at the moment.....

Rick Rowlands

Thanks so much for posting those Allan.  I had nearly identical photos of the Imperial compressor but have not been able to find them!  The Imperial that we are saving from Kentucky is a size larger than that one, and is complete.

AllanY2525

Ron,

Here are some photos I took several years of the Republic Rubber Co. Ruins on
Albert street several years ago.  I wonder what this same patch of land looks
like now.....

http://allthingsyoungstown.net/republicrubber/gallery2/slide001.html

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,
We are getting ready to move equiptment up to the Eastside.  If you need storage site for material, I have the brickyard and also industrial acreage all over the Eastside.  If there is a lot of salvageable material, we are interested.

Rick Rowlands

Toward the north end of Albert Street on the west side of the road.  Several brick buildings and a smokestack.  They used to make industrial rubber products including hoses, belting and early on made automobile tires. 

Youngstownshrimp

Rick Rowlands

A bit larger too.  I just compared one of those bricks to some I salvaged and the older bricks are bigger. 

AllanY2525

Rick,

The older red brick was somewhat stronger as well, without the holes in
The center, right?

Rick Rowlands

I met with Mayor McNally this afternoon about salvaging bricks from the partially demolished Republic Rubber property to construct a brick powerhouse at the Tod Engine Museum.  He didn't see a problem with it but was going to check with the economic development dept. to see what requirements they would have for me to go on site to remove the bricks. 

I want to use the old brick because this older brick was all handmade and has a character that newer machine made brick doesn't have.  The resulting building will look more authentic from using the proper materials.  What is even more fitting is that the structure we would be salvaging brick from was Republic Rubber's powerhouse.

jay

5 Minutes with the Mayor of Youngstown

Tuesday, April 15, 5:00 p.m.

- Location -
Mayor's Office
First Floor
Youngstown City Hall
26 S. Phelps Street
Downtown Youngstown

Come and tell the mayor what is on your mind! Your 5 minutes of time with Mayor McNally is on a first come, first serve basis.