News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Low Powered FM Radio For Youngstown

Started by jay, August 16, 2013, 08:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

QUESTION FOER JAY
According to the United States Census Bureau Youngstown is 34.60 square miles.
According to the FCC a LPFM stations coverage area can not exceed 3.5 square miles.
Just where in the 34.60 sq. miles would this LPFM station be located?
Since a LPFM station can't sell commercial time, how would it be financed?
Obviously such a station would be limited as to it's listener base to the 3.5 square miles.
Here is what the FCC says:
The Low Power FM (LPFM) radio service was created by the Commission in January 2000. LPFM stations are authorized for noncommercial educational broadcasting only (no commercial operation) and operate with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 100 watts (0.1 kilowatts) or less, with maximum facilities of 100 watts ERP at 30 meters (100 feet) antenna height above average terrain (HAAT). The approximate service range of a 100 watt LPFM station is 5.6 kilometers (3.5 miles radius). LPFM stations are not protected from interference that may be received from other classes of FM stations. A construction permit is required before an LPFM station can be constructed or operated. The mere filing of an LPFM application does not authorize any construction or operation.
Potential applicants are advised that there is almost always competition for any type of radio broadcast station -- including LPFM stations -- and there is no guarantee that filing an acceptable application will result in the grant of a construction permit. Applications for LPFM stations may only be filed during specified filing periods announced by the FCC, and must be filed electronically on FCC Form 318 (no paper applications will be accepted). Many applicants retain legal and engineering counsel to help them prepare an acceptable application. (The FCC does not maintain a list of legal and engineering firms, and cannot recommend any individual or firm.)

Towntalk

The allowable coverage for all LPFM stations is 3.5 square miles using a 100 watt transmitter firing a 100 foot high tower antenna so how much of Youngstown can be covered.By the way that 100 foot tower must be on the ground as opposed to having it placed on a tall building.

Towntalk

I wish them well, provided they follow all the rules that the FCC has regarding this class of broadcasting. Yes, it is regulated just like other forms of broadcasting ... see my earlier post linking to the FCC.
Most LPFM stations are owned by churches and schools according to the list of LPFM stations already on the air according to the FCC listing.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?state=&serv=FL&vac=&list=1

jay

A group is now forming to study and possibly start a low powered FM radio station.

jay

AllanY2525

they could put the antenna on the roof of the Parkway Tower apartment building on Park
Avenue - right next to the cell phone antennas  (forgive me Im just being sarcastic
about the owners of the building)

:)

Billy Mumphrey

Maybe some community group could get money just like the Lemon Grove. ;D

jay

I discussed low powered FM with several people this week.  Most people like the idea and would like to see it happen in Youngstown.   A station with a downtown location could cover the entire city.

jay

Imagine this.  ::)

We could have Forum Radio if our members chipped in around $100 each.

;D

Billy Mumphrey

I went to the site and a low power station could cover all of Youngstown. However, the cost could be anywhere from the $5,000-$20,000 range to pull it off. Unfortunately I believe many community groups would have trouble raising this kind of capital.

jay

This possibility should be mentioned at city block watch meetings.  Maybe a coalition of block watches could apply for a low powered FM radio license.

Billy Mumphrey

On the link you provided suggests the station could have a broadcast range of 10 miles. That should be enough power to cover all parts of Youngstown. I would like to see someone or some group look into this situation.

jay

We used to have one person with that experience.  I'm not sure if another member has those talents.

I would like to have a low powered FM radio station on the west side.

Billy Mumphrey

Yes. Youngstown could use a low powered station that could provide information, music, and discussions no longer offered on today's commercial radio stations. Does anyone on this forum know any individuals with radio knowledge and broadcasting experience that might be able to look into this endevor?