News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Low Powered FM Radio For Youngstown

Started by jay, August 16, 2013, 08:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The last Low Power FM webinar is Wednesday, September 18, 6:00 p.m. EST

Towntalk

I could agree with you to a certain extent. But, what you overlook is the fact that there are grants available to help fund LPFM stations, plus the fact that there is listener donations as with PBS/NPR stations. The cost of operating a LPFM station is not as high as with a higher class FM station, for the only payed employees at a LPFM station would be the manager, the program director and the chief engineer (As with higher class stations a FCC licensed engineer must be on duty throughout the entire broadcast day at LPFM stations) but on air personal don't need a license so long as they do not operate the master control board.

It should be noted that while there is no protection for a LPFM station from bleedover from other FM stations the FM stations are protected from interference from a LPFM station.
It also must be remembered that there are other class stations that can not run commercials such as stations as WYSU, so te FCC isn't just picking on LPFM stations.

jay

QuoteLPFM after all is over the air broadcasting and subject to the same rules as a commercial station.
BUT
Quoteand FCC rules ban LPFM stations from selling commercial time.

Being relegated to 100 watts is very restrictive in itself.  Not being allowed to sell commercials makes it very very difficult to run a small lpfm station.   I'm sure these restriction were made to keep the big boys happy.

Towntalk

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a LPFM station here, and as a regular feature say on Sundays a look back at old time radio programs, say from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm. I have some 5400 old time radio shows in my personal library, and there are thousands more available of all sorts ... comedy; mystery, drama, westerns, thrillers, variety that folks under 40 have never heard, that paved the way for the sort of TV shows we enjoy today. But I also know that we can't sit around talking about it. It requires a significant investment, and a staff of professionals in broadcasting, for just because it is LPFM doesn't mean that any Tom, Dick or Harry can run the station, and it requires a licensed engeneer to run the transmitter. LPFM after all is over the air broadcasting and subject to the same rules as a commercial station.

Anyone can put together an internet station that isn't governed by the FCC, but LPFM is a whole different animal, and running a station doesn't come cheap, and absent commercials to help defray the costs, all the support will have to come from donations from the listeners, and FCC rules ban LPFM stations from selling commercial time.

Towntalk

DEADLINE .... OCTOBER 15, 2013 - OCTOBER 27, 2013 ... AFTER THAT NO MORE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED BY THE FCC PERIOD FOR 10 YEARS ... NO EXCEPTIONS.
So EXACTLY how far has this group gone toward filing their application? Or is this all talk like many of the other projects that have poped up from time to time?
It would be great IF some group were seriously enough to put their MONEY where their dreams are, and I would support them, BUT until I know more about THE GROUP that wants to start a LPFM station there's NOTHING that we can do to make it happen, since ONLY THE FCC can make it happen AND IN THE LICENSING PROCESS, THE FCC DOES NOT SEEK PUBLIC INPUT.

jay

The next low power FM webinar is Monday, September 16, 2013 - 7pm EST.

Billy Mumphrey

Towntalk

The ribbon mikes I cited are for computer use yet have the quality of regular broadcast mikes in that they can be located in 5 locations as illistrated in the second photo.
Ribbon mikes are ideal in that being omnidirectional 2 mikes can do for all 7 councilmen, 1 for the Clerk, 1 for the Council President, 1 for the other city officials and 1 for public comment. A small mixer board tied to a laptop would be used by station personal.
Most people today are ignorent when it comes to ribbon mikes, because they think that they have to place the mike right up against their mouth, but that's totally wrong, and can damage the ribbon. These mikes are super sensitive and by controling it from the mixer they will pick up everythng just fine.

AllanY2525

sorry but I am no expert on audio mics.  There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of
makes/models of computer microphones out there.  As far as the best overall solution, it
would probably be best if they used a separate, noise cancelling mic for each council member,
plus one wide area mic for the audience, attendees, so that everyone's audio could be captured

I use Skype to conference with some developers overseas from time to time and the audio quality
is incredibly good...crisp, clear and clean virtually every time - even with an el cheapo generic microphone

Towntalk

Tell me Allan. Most modern mikes require close up use while older mikes positioned correctly could cover a whole room such as the mike I use for my logo. Please tell me what model microphone specifically used on computers could be used in Council Chambers and pick up talk from any part of the room with equal quality?

Two examples:

http://www.homerecorder.com/product.php?pid=473
http://www.homerecorder.com/product.php?pid=26

Both are ribbon mikes which are superior to condenser mikes because they are omnidirectional with a figure 8 pattern.

AllanY2525

I'm sure City Hall already has wireless internet inside the building.

There would be no need to run cables into the council chambers, just fire up
any decent laptop or tablet device - and BINGO.  A couple of USB webcams and
some bluetooth for audio and away you go...

jay

It is my understanding that any group could log on to watch the webinars.  It is a learning process at this time.  If a group finds to process too difficult or does not have the resources to set up a station, then they will not apply for a low power FM license.  If a group watches the webinars and feels they have the resources to make a station work, then they should apply for the license.  Perhaps no one for this area will apply at all.

Towntalk

Allan, I didn't think of that ... using the internet for remotes, but then there is the question about just how the connection would be made. Would the City be willing to install the connections that would be needed? A suggestion would be Road Runner. Then there is the question of broadcast quality. When the radio stations were broadcasting Council meetings they needed 5 microphones, and most mikes that are available on the market for computer use can not match the microphones used by radio stations, and broadcast mikes can't be adapted for use with computers on the fly. I'm not certain of how commercial stations stream their programs using their professional gear but I do know that the standard broadcast mike is not compatable with most computers.
Good professional microphones cost anywhere from $1000.00 to $3000.00 each ... then there is the question of who would foot the bill for Road Runner or whatever ISP was used?
I'm sure that Council wouldn't want to foot the bill for a service that would only be used when council is in session.