News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

????? Youngstown's Christmas Tree ?????

Started by jay, November 16, 2018, 06:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

City workers were cutting apart the Christmas tree today and hauling away the branches in dump trucks.

:'(

northside lurker

Instead of growing a Christmas tree in Central Square, where it would take decades to become the size needed to be a good Christmas tree, and where it would be out of place, for most of the year, maybe the city could plant pine trees around the city, on land that it owns.  And, until they are mature enough to be harvested, the city could continue to use its existing system of finding trees, in addition to using trees it already owns, like the one on Delason.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

Quote from: jay link=topic=38540.mquote author=jay link=topic=38540.msg88539#msg88539 date=1543491365]
I know where the city could get next year's Christmas Tree.

I was driving down E. Delason yesterday.  There is a large pine tree on a vacant lot located on the north side of the street on the first block block off Market Street.

it will be safe until next year as long as the city street department employees and diamond employees keep their hands off it. ::)

jay

I know where the city could get next year's Christmas Tree.

I was driving down E. Delason yesterday.  There is a large pine tree on a vacant lot located on the north side of the street on the first block block off Market Street.

Why?Town

Back in the old days many family Christmas trees were aluminum with colored lights shining on them.  OK... "a few" might be more correct. But since growing trees would take decades to get to size even if planted in the square, maybe we could get a 50 foot tree built using solar panels with multicolored LED lights permanently added that could be used year round. Multiple random colors for Christmas, pink and red for Valentines day, Red White and Blue for Independence day, rainbows for any gay day. The list goes on and on.

And FWIW, I'm not being mean about anyone or anything, I just think the words "gay" and "day" seem to go together pretty nicely. :-*

jay

QuoteMy solution is to plant a tree in the island of the Central Square then we do not have the problem of having to go out and look for a Christmas tree.

I like your idea.

Another proposal would be for the city to plant dozens of pine trees somewhere on city owned land and then harvest the trees a few decades in the future.

iwasthere

My solution is to plant a tree in the island of the Central Square then we do not have the problem of having to go out and look for a Christmas tree.

Why?Town

Most if not all of the pine needles are not near the trunk. Trimming the tree back into shape would result in a Christmas tree with just a bunch of short fat branches at the top.

iwasthere

Couldn't have they used the rest of the tree by trimming the top to look like a true 🌲 top. This Christmas tree survived natural weather disasters for last 35 years and then came man.....

jay

Why?Town

This is somewhat sad.

But I was glad to see that it didn't fall on the guy with the Santa hat. He's the same "santa" that's been in several vindicator pictures while cutting, lifting, or hauling Christmas trees in the past and is one of my friend's uncles.

iwasthere

The tree committed self Hari Kari by falling on its own sharp sworded branch when it heard it was going to be lit up in Ytown DT. The tree thought it would be deballed by drunken way ward party revellers during the Xmas season.

jay

The tree committed suicide.   :o

The city is looking for another tree.

iwasthere

When the city tear down homes they also rip out Christmas trees too and start from scratch to rejuvenate the land, thus no firbtrees to use as Christmas trees.

jay

Did I hear this correctly?

Youngstown's Christmas tree is coming from a home in Struthers.

::)