News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Shuttered Downtown Business - Pig Iron Press

Started by Towntalk, December 11, 2012, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

tt the beat goes on with the bohemian crowd.

Towntalk

From their web site they seem to be into the arts displaying paintings in their store. If the poetry group still meets upstairs it would be a perfect bohemian artist/poets gathering place ala the beat generation. Do poets still use bongo drumbs?

iwasthere

Towntalk

If that is the new business, it will be a good fit for the arts folks.

iwasthere

it is my understanding that this cs was going into the erie terminal bldg but both parties got bogged down on nic and pic items.

northside lurker

If the rumors are true, I believe it's this company that will be moving in: http://www.friendsroastery.com/

I wish them luck, but not at the expense of any other coffee shops downtown.  I know I will continue to get my hot chocolates from Joe Maxx.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Does anyone have any idea what the name of the coffee house will be? Do they have a web site? What else will they have on their menu? What is the name of the owners? Any time frame as to when they will open? What will their hours be?

irishbobcat

My understanding is the coffee folks rent the same type of storefront in downtown Salem. I assume they are well aware of rules and regulations regarding placing their business in the Pig Iron Press. I also assume they have toured the building, took notes, and believe they can open shop there. If not, shame on them.

Towntalk

One of the channels I watch on a regular basis is the Food Network and two of the shows that I watch there deal with restaurants and restaurant inspection, and rest assured that the building would have to add a grease trap, be fumagated, be completely remodeled in the area that food and drink will be served, and since there will be businesses on the upper floors that could impact on the coffee shop given the configuration of the building, there would have to be a barrier between the first floor and the upper floors to prevent any vermon from traveling.

Simply throwing down a coat of fresh paint and new flooring will not do it.

There will have to be updated plumbing ... new restrooms ... electrical updating ... the list is endless.

Remember, that building was once a tobacco wholesale house that also made cigars in house, so while it was OK for the uses that Jim used it, a food dispencing establishment is quite a different animal.

iwasthere

tt the dog died this past summer. do believe in grease.

Towntalk

That's my very point. If he were to be the lead in the arts community, it would be run in a business like way.

Towntalk

Judging the way Pig Iron Press looks, the Board of Health would never approve opening a food establishment in that building. Jim would have to clean up his business, get rid of all the junk and clutter and present a far better appearance that he has right now.

I like Jim, he's a swell guy, but lets face it, his establishment leaves a whole lot to be desired. Oh and by the way, he would have to find a new home for his dog.

iwasthere

tt phil kidd is not an artist but a busmn. who collects artifacts from the past and present of ytown's history for resale.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on December 12, 2012, 11:39:39 AM
The artists are going to need a new business model if they are going to assume control over the Wonder Bread building.
are you offering to draft an. artist's business plan?

Towntalk

If you were to combine all of their accumulated knowledge of good business pratice you would still get nothing better that doom soup.

Certainly there are a very small handful of arts people who get it, Phil Kidd being an example, but the bulk of them haven't a clue, yet they want the downtown to be their playground with the taxpayers footing the bill.