News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New To Central Square

Started by jay, November 09, 2011, 04:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewie

sfc_oliver

I might think about a counter demonstration downtown, but i swear I don't think they know what they are demonstrating against.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

Since all conservative republicans have traditionally been grouped together as NeoCons in so many posts on this site, I would figure that Mrs. Bobcat would run out and join Rick.

irishbobcat

Rick, while I would have no problem with that, my wife is a conservative Republican
who would probably throw you and your tent in the barrel and then light it.....

Good luck with that....LOL

Rick Rowlands

I am going to protest Dennis's stupid comments by setting up a tent and burn barrel in the front of his house and play reruns of the Rush Limbaugh program 24 hours a day.  Dennis, you SHOULDN"T have any problem with that right?  After all that is my first amendment right.    I won't trample too much of your front yard, just about a 10' x 10' area. 

See you tonight my new neighbor!

sfc_oliver

Quote from: irishbobcat on November 17, 2011, 05:50:43 AM
Sarge, because you have such a narrow mind.....you can not truly see the big picture.....

I guess that is why you are a conservative....you just don't understand.....

Really? Then please explain to me exactly what it is I don't understand. 

What I understand is that you have made many accusations about what I think and believe when you haven't a clue.

What I understand is that the right of free speech does not include the right to camp on city streets.

What I understand is that in nearly every major OWS camp around the country there have been legal, moral, and sanitary problems.

So you go ahead and explain what I don't understand.

I'll wait...........

jay

A photo of Occupy Youngstown's Attorney Akins being interviewed by the local media

irishbobcat

Sarge, because you have such a narrow mind.....you can not truly see the big picture.....

I guess that is why you are a conservative....you just don't understand.....

Towntalk

FLASH

BREAKING NEWS

Magistrate has rejected Occupy Youngstown's request for a temporary restraining order

Now that a magistrate has rejected Occupy Youngstown's request for a temporary restraining order to permit the group to use a tent and burn barrel in Central Square, its members are focusing on a Dec. 1 court hearing.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/nov/17/protesters-press-on-after-loss-in-court/

SEE ALSO: http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/nov/14/there-is-a-right-to-hold-a-sign-pitching/?print

Towntalk

THE MOUTHPIECES

"We're looking forward to fighting the city for the right to stay here, and protest the inequality that exists in this country," Attorney Kim Akins said.

"That was taken without a warrant, without an opportunity to be heard, without any legal authorization that we can perceive," said Staughton Lynd, a spokesman for Occupy Youngstown.

Towntalk

A group of Occupy Youngstown protestors has filed a lawsuit against the city in Mahoning County Common Pleas Court alleging their civil rights have been violated and their property was illegally seized.

the suit was filed Wednesday and seeks a temporary restraining order, a preliminary injunction and permanent injunction regarding their encampment in downtown Youngstown. Named in the suit are the city, Mayor Charles Sammarone and police chief Rod Foley.

The group has been protesting around the clock on Federal Plaza since Oct. 15 in a demonstration similar to to those taking place around the country. Last week, the protesters were informed that they could remain on Federal Plaza, but they had to remove their burn barrels and tents because they violated city codes. They were given a deadline of midnight on Friday to remove the barrels and tents.

At 7:30 a.m. Friday, members of the police department and fire department confiscated the tent, a burn barrel, a chair, signs and other items, according to the lawsuit. The plaintiffs state in the lawsuit that they plan to continue their demonstration, but need the tent and burn barrel in order to do so and seek the return of the items.

The lawsuit states that by confiscating the items, the city violated the protesters' 1st and 14th Amendment rights of free speech and equal rights, and also violated the group's 4th Amendment rights against illegal search and seizure.

SOURCE: WKBN News

sfc_oliver

This isn't 1776, nor is it the 50's or 60's.

All over the country these protesters are being told by our courts that they cannot camp out in these places.

Accept the facts Dennis. They can protest until the cows come home but they are not going to live on city property.

irishbobcat

Hey Rick....what about the civil rights movements of the 1950's and 60's?

Should folks like Rosa Parks and others have staged civil disobedience at the time?

Or would you have sicked the dogs on them and blasted them with water hoses?

Rick Rowlands

There is a big difference Dennis between a monarchy which is not changable by the population and a republic which is.  There was no right for redress of grievances in Britain. Learn some history.

Towntalk

BREAKING NEWS

Judge Upholds City's Move to Block Camping at Protest Site

A state Supreme Court judge upheld the city's right to enforce rules that bar the Occupy Wall Street protesters from camping at Zuccotti Park.

The judge, Michael D. Stallman, wrote in his ruling Tuesday afternoon, "The court is mindful of the movements' First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and peaceable assembly." But he added, quoting from another case, "Even protected speech is not equally permissible in all places and at all times." He said that the protesters "had not demonstrated that the rules adopted by the owners of the property, concededly after the demonstrations began, are not reasonable time place and manner restrictions permitted under the First Amendment."

The full story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/nyregion/police-begin-clearing-zuccotti-park-of-protesters.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Dallas, Texas

DALLAS, TEXAS  (CNN) -- A federal judge in Dallas dealt yet another blow to the Occupy movement Tuesday, denying the group's request for a temporary restraining order to prevent eviction from City Hall property.
U.S. District Judge Jane Boyle's decision meant City Hall was effectively free to forcibly evict the encampment members as of 4 p.m. CT (5 p.m. ET), when the current agreement between the protesters and City Hall expired.