News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

An idea to think about

Started by Towntalk, October 17, 2011, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I have no idea what their timeline is.  I tried to get involved, but never managed to get on their mailing list. (if I were more cynical, I would assume that it's because there is an architect from a competing firm already involved ;) )

I like the design of the new marquee in the renderings.  And yes, I would assume they would repair or replace the windows.  I think they want to utilize the remaining space.

I've said it before: the Paramount Theater is to Youngstown what the Michigan Central Station is to Detroit.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

:) Lets hope that they have better luck than the folks did with the State Theatre.  :)

What is the timeline for this project. I didn't see it on the link you so kindly provided.

As to the marquee, I would hope that they would cover the skeleton and place a digital sign in like the DeYor to promote downtown events and replace all those windows or at least the glass so that it would look a lot more inviting.

For my part, I'm sick and tired of seeing so many photos of the building as it now stands all over the Internet.

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Given the city's history where parking lots on the site of former theaters are concerned, I doubt that my idea will go anywhere, but for the sake of argument and fanciful discussion, I propose that if and when the land that the old Paramount sits or sat, is turned into a park like site that it be named Paramount Park since the plan calls for saving the front wall of the old theater, and that the sign be so designed to reflect the Paramount logo, and a plaque be placed in a prominent place made of brass giving a brief history of the site.

To take our flight of fancy further, that at the back of the lot a small stage be built with a roof and at the center of the roof a large Paramount style P encircled by a Laurel wreath.

Unfortunatly fancy and fact don't always combine, so unless someone with very deep pockets come by and sees the wisdom of our fanciful dream, we'll just have to settle for another parking lot that will be turned over to an out of town company to purchase and run.