News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Another Downtown Eatery Closes

Started by jay, October 11, 2011, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Westsider

I basically agree with your assessment.  I don't know how the last two stay in business.

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on October 12, 2011, 07:55:10 PM
I eat downtown several times each week and patronize the Food Court on Thursdays.  Of the six eateries in the Food Court, I feel the Sante Fe was the third busiest.  Two of the food places hardly have any business at all.

I usually get something from the food court twice a week.  But I never eat there, so I'm only seeing the initial lunch rush.

Having said that, IMO, they would be ordered like this, from most to least busy when I'm there:

- Capital Grille, (I'm told they're slow, so they may not be as busy as they look)
- Pizza Joe's and Subway, (I can't gauge Subway as well, because they are off in their own space, but I always see people in there)

- Yogurt Corner and Santa Fe (I think the Yogurt Corner appears a bit busier, but am willing to consider it a tie with the Santa Fe Grille)
- the Asian food place
- Magic Mocha. (They made their space so nice, but I almost never see anyone in there.  Maybe they sell a lot of coffee in the morning?)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Jay:

Did you ever dine in the food court when Phar-Mor was still in operation and Arthur Treachers; Plaza Doughnuts and Jay's Hot Dogs were the anchor eateries? The Food Court seemed to be busy all day till about 7:00 PM when all of the eateries closed and only the bar was open.

The bar had regulars that would be there three or four times a week but even then it's restraunt would close at the same time the others closed unless they were having a doings that they were catering and on election nights.

jay

I eat downtown several times each week and patronize the Food Court on Thursdays.  Of the six eateries in the Food Court, I feel the Sante Fe was the third busiest.  Two of the food places hardly have any business at all.

northside lurker

I'm surprised to read that you think the number of people eating in the food court is declining.  It still seems quite lively whenever I'm there. (especially when compared to a couple years ago)

I agree with Towntalk's first post.  Although I agree that it's sad when a mom and pop establishment closes, restaurants come and go.  I've never seen long lines at the Santa Fe SW Grille.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

You're absolutely right Jay ... too many restaurants with basically the same menu serving too few people in a specific location. This is a recipe for disaster. A new restaurant opening up is a novelty, but soon that novelty wears off, and this is true especially in a food court whether its downtown or at a mall.

The folks that are and will be moving into the downtown area as was discussed earlier are folks that aren't interested in the types of restaurants that are in the food court, they want restaurants that are higher end places with an executive chef and a diversified menu with dishes that look like those served on the Food Channel, and above all a liquor license so that fine wines can be served with the meal and not just a cup of tea or coffee.

There are such places downtown that fit the bill and if they can hold out until the rest of the apartments are filled, they'll do a great business especially in the evening hours.

irishbobcat

when any small mom and pop business closes...it is a sad day.......

I always liked the Santa Fe Grill.....they had good food and it was priced right.......

Nw....when all ther fracking companies close as well as the dirty pollution giants close.....

then it will be a GREAT day!!!!

jay

The number of people eating in the Food Court on Thursdays has been declining for the last six months.

At this time, there are just too many places to eat downtown.  What we need is a few more downtown businesses that would employ a few thousand additional people who would be the customers for these eateries.

Towntalk

Going all the way back to the Phar-Mor days the food court saw restraunts come and go, including ones tha should have dominated ... Arthur Treachers and Jay's Hot Dogs  and Plaza Doughnuts so I really see  no reason to be blue over The Sante Fe Southwestern Grill closing. We need to remember that the restraunt business is not the easiest  in the best of times but with the situation as it exists today, the challange is even greater, especially for those restaurants in the food court.

The stand alone restaurants have a distinct advantage in that they have liquor licenses and provide some form of entertainment along with a wider menu as well as longer hours which allow them to serve both lunch and dinner.

jay

The Sante Fe Southwestern Grill, which was located in the 20 Federal Place Food Court, has closed.  All of the equipment belonging to the business has been removed.