News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

VERY GREAT NEWS FOR DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN

Started by Towntalk, October 07, 2011, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Increased cooperation between the city plan and the university campus plan was one of the goals
of Youngstown 2010 - leverage the assets Youngstown still has to make the city better and
attract residents and businesses.  In this area, at least, I would say 2010 was a success - it
got the ball rolling by getting the two to develop their master plans together and cooperatively
instead of separately.  Sometimes at odds with each other. 

The opening of Hazel Street extension was a very good idea.  Further tie the university to the downtown physically to make it easier to get back and forth between the two for students, etc.

More stores will open downtown - they'll have a clientele of downtown residents, teachers, students and faculty of the university, and people who liver closer to downtown than to the
suburbs.

A long time ago, I made a couple posts here about "critical mass".  Downtown Youngstown is
reaching critical mass.  The new bus route to Warren will bring some customers from out
of town, probably.

The Small Business Incubator was one of the pioneers of this renaissance - they showed
that new businesses could start up in the tech sector in Youngstown and SUCCEED.

This made downtown Youngstown more attractive to established businesses
who might be looking to expand or relocate here.  Some already have.  More
critical mass.

There's no denying that after decades of decline, downtown is back to stay.

Towntalk

Jay, I'm sure more would have participated if (1) they lived in Youngstown; (2) and their work schedules allowed their participation.

The ones though that we have to thank are those who invested their time and money to bring the downtown back, particularly the Williamson family whose investment in the new Williamson College of Business at YSU really got the ball rolling.

And what of the folks that purchased the Realty Building and turned it into a high end apartment complex. Many said that they couldn't do it, yet now it's full.

Apparently there is a waiting list of folks that have committed to the apartments in the Wick Building and the Federal Building since the report said that: "Until that's complete, Phil Kidd with the organization Defend Youngstown said if you're looking for a place to live, downtown is practically full."

jay

I would like to thank those few Forum members who have participated in Downtown Day every Thursday.

Towntalk

Downtown Youngstown Booming Again

There are at least eight new businesses heading to downtown Youngstown. And for the first time in decades, if you're looking for an apartment there, you might be out of luck.

Those involved in the rejuvenation credit the $24 million renovation of Youngstown State University's Williamson College of Business with bringing more students and other people into downtown. The Erie Terminal is getting a more than $4 million renovation to add 65 apartments for graduate students.

Until that's complete, Phil Kidd with the organization Defend Youngstown said if you're looking for a place to live, downtown is practically full.

"I get calls and emails from lots of people that say 'Is there anything available in downtown?' So it is definitely growing," Kidd said.

Robert Bacani, 62, is a lifelong resident of Youngstown. He has seen the city at its best and the city at its worst. But these days, downtown Youngstown is seeing a "rejuvenation" of sorts.

"It's getting renovated beautifully. I see construction, buildings being torn down. Construction being put up," Bacani said.

Part of the rejuvenation could be the result of the Youngstown Convocation Center, now known as the Covelli Centre, which opened nearly six years ago. Kidd said the entertainment venue and the opening of Federal Street laid the groundwork for the first round of businesses that opened downtown.

But Kidd said there also has been more of an intentional effort to bring Youngstown State University and its development closer to downtown.

Kidd said until the Erie Terminal apartments are done, newer apartments in downtown are already booked.

"I just think that the demand is here certainly for the Central Business District of the city," Kidd said. "People, especially young people, want to be where there are lots of options and downtown offers that."

With growing demand to live in the downtown area, rent could be on the rise as well. But Kidd said that's a good problem to have.

"I think what it does is it establishes more confidence in business owners or anyone wanting to invest capital in downtown because a residential market is being established," Kidd said. "When the downtown becomes more residential, I expect more businesses to open."

As for Bacani, he thinks the resurgence could be just what Youngstown needs.

"We just need people to come down here. And we can make Youngstown happenin' again," Bacani said.

Credit: WKBN TV News