News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Learn About Deconstruction - Thursday, April 23

Started by jay, April 06, 2009, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Towntalk

From all that I've heard about deconstruction this would be a good business to get into. There is just as much skill required to properly deconstruct a house as there is to build one and do it properly.

rusty river

Louie Free will be chatting with deconstruction expert David Bennink today at 1:30. 1500 WASN AM.

rusty river

Deconstruction is much more than simple salvaging of "surface" materials. Every single component of the structure is assessed and cataloged. Lumber, brick, metal, asphalt shingles, and everything in between that can be reused or recycled is kept. A typical residential structure can yield 70-80 TONS of high quality building materials. Many of the vacant homes throughout the city are filled with old growth hardwoods that are straighter,drier, and of higher value than anything you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. Through the careful and intensive development of a local market for reclaimed materials, deconstruction presents the potential for a self sustaining blight removal mechanism for the community.

Rick Rowlands

I've been reusing materials for years.  This is not somthing new for me. 

rusty river

Learn about the many potential benefits of Deconstruction for the City of Youngstown, including:

• Reduction of Waste
• Workforce Development
• Job Creation
• Neighborhood Revitalization
• Creation of an Environmentally Friendly and Recycled Building Materials Market

Event is FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

AllanY2525

I was very interested in this topic when it came time to demolish the
majority of the former Westlake Terrace housing projects.  Instead of
just bringing in a wrecking ball and a bulldozer, these old buildings were
carefully de-constructed, and most of bricks were stacked on pallets
and shipped elsewhere for re-use in other buildings.

This is a VERY environmentally sound practice, not to mention the
fact that it saves on construction costs for those builders who re-use
the old bricks and other construction materials.

jay

An appropriate topic for Earth Week

DECONSTRUCTION
with national expert David Bennink

Thursday, April 23, 7:00pm

- Location -
Ohio One Building (1st Floor Auditorium)
25 East Boardman Street
Youngstown, Ohio

Deconstruction is the systematic disassembly of a structure to maximize reuse and recycling of the building materials that compose the structure.