News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

February Site Changes

Started by ForumManager, February 01, 2014, 09:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to see less categories on the forums? If yes please indicate in this thread which boards should be removed.  Messages can be moved to another location.

yes
2 (28.6%)
no
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

ForumManager

sfc_oliver

We get 3 RSS feeds on a national board where I'm the Administrator. They never seemed to be a problem and have parked a few conversations. They only post every 4 or 5 hours.

As far as the number of forums...
I suppose a few could be consolidated but i don't really see a need.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

ForumManager

Hi Folks... those curves that didn't quite line up have been driving me nuts for a couple of hears... have removed them... straight lines all around.. boring colors -- grays are easy on the eyes.

ForumManager

Quote from: AllanY2525 on February 05, 2014, 01:55:42 AM
F.M. - I agree with Rick, with regard to consolidating the number of forum message
boards.  I do the same thing when I log in.  I click on show unread msgs since last
visit and go from there.

You're welcome Alan... please vote... so far, it 3 to 1 against consolidation and I'm assuming Rick is the one vote. I could be wrong...  :)

AllanY2525

F.M. - I agree with Rick, with regard to consolidating the number of forum message
boards.  I do the same thing when I log in.  I click on show unread msgs since last
visit and go from there.

I like the idea of having classified ads in a separate section - these will have many
sub-categories.

By the way,  THANK YOU for the great job you do with this forum.  It's a valuable
resource to the community.

ForumManager

Towntalk...I'll put all the feeds on the main site pages... they were there before... not sure that was common knowledge.  There will be a link at the bottom of the forum. Still plugging through getting things back together after a much needed update.

I also thought it was a good idea to bring in local news sources.

Towntalk

My posts are all over the place depending on the topic, and I must say that the new news feeds right here will save me time, leaving this site to run a search of the newspaper or TV station to get a story, then come back to post here.

jay

Just try to post where you think it fits the best.  If I wanted to say something about the condition of a road on the west side, I would post on the West Side board.  Something less specific about road conditions could be posted on Road News.

ForumManager

That's not Rick's complaint, Jay.  He has a difficult  time choosing where to post.

jay

Perhaps move the lesser used topics down the list.  Keep the active ones near the top.

ForumManager

ForumManager

Rick Rowlands

When I come to the main page I click on "Show Unread Posts since last visit" to see what threads are being dicussed.  I'll then read those threads and comment if I have something to add.   

The only time I really pay attention to the various individual forums is when I want to start a thread as I try to figure out which one it fits into.  Most of the time I just post in "Youngstown in General" rather than try to figure out what forum it fits best into. 

ForumManager

Rick,
Questions about  usage... hope you can find time to answer.
Do you click the unread posts in the top bar of the main category or do you use another method to see posts? (attached)
Do you subscribe to posts that interest you?
Do you ignore boards that have no relevance?
Just curious.
FM

ForumManager

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback.

I can definitely consolidate the categories...  however the categories were requested.
I think we've had this conversation before. 

Re- RSS feeds.
So far I've gotten 2 positives and you are the second "negative" 
I can remove them and put them on the main site.  They were on the main site originally.

I'll add a few polls.