News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Other Van Sickle Mansions

Started by Rick Rowlands, November 19, 2009, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Oh wow... wish I could be there in time for the meeting.  I own the big blue house right
behind the First Unitarian Church... right across the street from the other Van Sickle
properties.....

:(

Some day I will be installing wireless internet at the property behind the church... maybe people
could actually webcast their meetings live - right from the church !  It could make it easier for
people to attend when they might otherwise be unable to.

At present I don't have the financial resources to help the growing movement to fix the Wick
Park neighborhood the way I would like to  - which sincerely saddens me - but I think that
just maybe it's time to start posting editorial content on the website, and let folks like our
concerned group of citizens voice their frustration with the city, etc....

Anyone that wants to get the word out, have content (pertinent to the issues at hand) and
even their own video footage available to the public now has a venue in which to do this.
at no cost whatsoever.  I still have about 1.5 Terabytes of free disk space on the server,
and I can always add more - if I ever actually get it filled up, that is...

:)

I don't know how much public attention it will draw, but the site has had just over 9,000
visits since it came online a couple years ago.... so maybe I will be able to contribute
via the site, and try to document in photos and other original content what the news
media appears to be ignoring when it comes to the struggle to return the neighborhood
to some semblence of what it once was...

If I get access to all of the properties that I want to get into this trip, then I should
have a boat load of new content for everyone to enjoy.  I'm hoping that if people
could see the interiors of these endangered mansions it might spark more interest
in trying to save them.

Personal opinions are one thing, but photos are totally objective, and speak to
the facts - they are also indisputable.

northside lurker

The meeting is Monday at 5:30, at the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Youngstown at the corner of Elm and Illinois.

I can't help you with the computer/webcam, though.  Maybe someone else here can, though?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

I am coming up to Youngstown this month (although it's later in the month than I would have liked)
and want to photograph this mansion, as well as some others around the Wick Park neighborhood.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get ahold of someone who can get me access to the insides of these places.

I would like to create a gallery on the web site for "Endangered Species" in the area around the park.

I'm hoping that if I can get enough good quality photos and some historic information for each of these
old mansions,  that maybe - just maybe - someone with some financial resources might be persuaded to
join the fight to save these properties before something awful happens to them.

When and where exactly is the meeting to take place?  If I cannot be in Youngstown for the meeting,
could it take place where there is a Laptop PC, a webcam and an Internet connection available?  I
could attend via video/audio with Yahoo Messenger...

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,  since the debacle over the Van Sickle houses are going to be discussed this monday and a plan is to be implemented, I was asked by Phil to outline the tax cert. process so we can proceed to save the other mansions.  I was advised that since this is a community wide project my paper should be public.  Therefore, I will write the paper on the Youngstown Renaissance blog.  Again, we need your leadership here, see you monday.

northside lurker

Here is the Broadway property:

I don't have a picture of the other one, though.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

iwasthere

Rick Rowlands

Is anyone going to discuss the other Van Sickle mansions?  Still two opportunities to make a difference.