News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Best of the Area

Started by elecpencil, September 04, 2009, 04:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Not much at the Butler does anything for me, so it isn't at the top of my personal list.   We each have our preferences.  I do love the Mead, McKim & White building though.

kenneyjoe330

THANK YOU Towntalk - I love this forum - it's gots lots of good stuff and ya learn a lots to !

Towntalk

Given the fact that The Butler Institute of American Art is world famous, paintings from its collection shown in some on the most famous galleries in the world I would rank it as Number 1.

Ohio's Butler Art Institute Reaccredited by AAM
Reviewers Laud Museum as "A Gem"

(Washington, DC)  The American Association of Museums (AAM) has announced that The Butler Institute of American Art (Youngstown, Ohio) has been reaccredited by the AAM Accreditation Commission.  First accredited by the prestigious national organization twenty years ago, the recent re-designation signifies that the Butler continues to meet the high standards established by professionals in the museum field.  Reaccreditation review by the AAM occurs every ten years.

"AAM accreditation is emblematic of a museum's commitment to excellence and improvement," said AAM president Ford W. Bell. "In the case of The Butler Institute of American Art, it means that the people of Youngstown can take pride in the fact that their museum is one of the nation's finest, and a genuine community resource."

According to Butler Director Dr. Louis Zona, "To be reviewed by one's peers and to be given their highest approval is what every professional organization hopes to attain. The reaccreditation process of the American Association of Museums was a daunting undertaking. The Visiting Committee looked at every phase of Butler operations and gave us a 'thumbs up.' We could not be more pleased at this acknowledgment.  AAM  re-accreditation is a most significant accomplishment which says to the world that The Butler Institute of American Art continues to operate at a very high professional standard."

The accreditation process begins as a two year self-study program, culminating in an on-site review by a Visiting Committee comprised of museum peers.   All aspects of museum procedures are examined, including collections management, exhibitions, publications, building maintenance and storage, and public programs.  The peer review found the Butler to be both "a wonder" and "a gem."

"While successfully serving its region," the reviewers stated, "the Butler also reaches a broader national and international audience through loans of art from its collections. . . its impressive publications, and its informative website."  The report continued, "After visiting and interviewing participating staff members and trustees, the AAM Visiting Team felt confident that the [Butler's] Code of Ethics. . .met all AAM required criteria and was clearly being followed."

kenneyjoe330

:o  WOW - PLEASE E-X-C-U-S-E ME Mr. Rowland but I am QUITE aghast that at the mention of MUSEUMS that BUTLER ART was not the IMMEDIATE RESPONSE in ANY person of knowledge of the area is involved.  I do realize that you are from Warren - sorry I've never been to the Packard Museum and am quite embarrassed that I haven't been there and don't even know where it is - However BUTLER ART is really A WORLD CLASS AMERICAN ART MUSEUM.  If you have not seen Norman Rockwell's Lincoln I highly recommend seeing it at your earliest connivance  8) - Lincoln's Spirit jumps out at ya  ;)   and don't forget what I call "The Sports Room" on the first floor - there the ACTION jumps out at ya  ;D  you almost don't want to stand too close to the boxing paintings cause ya might get some sweat on ya  ;D

AND IT IS ALL FREE  8) :o 8)  I am very sorry if you feel you are being chastised and I certainly did not mean to admonish you at all - you well may be my age and just forget what you have in your own pocket  ;D  If it has been awhile - my good people - PLEASE go to the BUTLER  :-*

Rick Rowlands

Best museums in the area would have to be:

Packard Museum
Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor
Greenville Railroad Park
Arms Family Museum of Local History

Some of my favorite attractions:

Pymatuning Fish Hatchery at Linesville, PA
Rogers Flea Market (Fridays)
Lanterman's Mill

Best Italian Food:
Niccolini's
Salvatores

elecpencil

I am looking for lists of what people think are some of the best: Events, sites, businesses, shopping, services, bars, restaurants etc. I want lists from any area of the Mahoning Valley, Nearby Western PA, and Columbiana area. I want to post the list on my blog so that people visiting or moving into our area can have some idea of what our area has to offer. If you've had a good experience with local merchants etc. help others learn from your experience. Thanks