News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Clean Up Youngstown

Started by irishbobcat, August 21, 2009, 03:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

iris is guarding her rose bushes from those nasty Japanese beetle bugs. i saw her the other evening with a big net in a female version in a GI Joe fatigue outfit. a site to see for sore eyes. :-X

kenneyjoe330

Hummmm I   don't   think   so   :-\   Rushie ! ! !  Where is Iris - that beautiful flower - when you need her  :-\ ???

Rushblvd

I think if the trash is on the devil strip you are allowed to take it as long as  you use or  reuse it for a good cause, this sounds like one.              Great Idea

kenneyjoe330

:)  Hummmm I was just thinking  :o so get ready for something STUPID  ::)  We are talking plastic or paper trash bags ?  I didn't take chemistry in high school and had a rough time taking it at YSU so co2 and black plastic bags and recycling I am a little confused but then again for me that is quite normal if I just don't get it.  Just PLEASE don't send your bags via the U.S. Postal Service if they are paper (ewwww that would be bad  ;D )

You got that right Why?Town - there are probably 350 bags of trash just in my area.  Some of them setting at the curb days before pickup.  Would that be consider "stealing" if I picked them up and took them to the Morly Pavilion ?

Why?Town

Why stop at 350 bags? I bet there's more than 350 bags of trash laying around Youngstown?

How does this reduce CO2?

kenneyjoe330

OH Jay - what a wonderful idea taking the WRTA to Mill Creek Park  8)  If I may be so bold as to request the address of the Morly Pavilion ?  Then folks may MAIL their trash ahead of time and would not have to carry it on the WRTA Buss  :o  I would help the economy from where I sit  ;)

jay

Irish and Gary,

Your project location, the Morley Pavilion in Mill Creek Park, is on a WRTA bus route.  I hope the clean up participants refuse to drive their own cars and use mass transportation instead on Saturday, October 24.  If 350 people didn't drive a car that day, it would cut down on CO2 emissions and really show your conviction to your cause.

irishbobcat

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 2:07 PM
To: Gary Sexton
Subject: Clean Up 350 - Youngstown

Hey, everyone --

Some of you know about this, some of you don't yet. There will be a worldwide action on October 24th to raise awareness about global warming, by putting a simple number - 350, the safe level of CO2 in the atmosphere measured in parts per million - into people's consciousness. We are at 387 ppm, and rising. There's a lot more information on the website, www.350.org.

I'm tentatively calling our local action, Clean Up 350 - Youngstown (open to other ideas).

Here's the gist of it (also open to modification):

350 bags of litter will be picked up by 350 individuals and organizations throughout the Youngstown , Ohio metropolitan area on the morning of the 24th. Between noon and 2:00 pm they will be arranged into a giant 350 on the pristine lawns of the Morley Pavilion in the Wick Recreation Area of Mill Creek MetroParks (yes, Dave Imbrogno agreed to this). There will be a press conference at 2:00 pm , with a photo opportunity from a bucket truck. Afterwards, the litter bags (recyclable materials removed) will be properly disposed off.

I've done the easy part, now I'm hoping you will want to get involved in some way... publicity, organization, press conference coordinator, politician inviter, things I haven't thought off yet. I'm also hoping you, or an organization you belong to, will volunteer to be responsible for10 bags of litter. We'll need 35 such people or organizations.

I would also appreciate your review of the attached materials, as well the material about this action on the 350.org website.

We'll have an organizing meeting soon, very soon.

So let me know if you would like to help. Let me know who else might want to be involved. You can also let me know if you want to be removed from this group list I created.

Thanks so much.

Gary

Gary Sexton
(330) 518-1625
sextonius@yahoo.com