News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Cheap transportation

Started by Towntalk, March 24, 2009, 10:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Thanks for putting the picture up Jay.

I fully agree with you that this is a run-about car that would be handy for chores that don't require a SUV like grocery shopping trips and going back and forth to work. Certainly it wouldn't do for long trips.

jay

I saw this car on TV last night.  The tires are just a little bigger than the tires on a golf cart.  Actually the car looks like a golf cart with a fancy body over it.  The car would be good for short trips in one's neighborhood.

Here is a photo from the web.

northside lurker

They can't be sold in the US because they don't meet our safety standards.  I've heard that, if they were built to meet our safety standards, they would cost about $10,000.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Towntalk

I'm sure that by now you have read about the Tata Nano, the worlds cheapest car that will price out at $1,979.00 that's being made in India.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7957671.stm
(Photo and video at this link)

The basic model has no airbags, air conditioning, radio, or power steering. However, more luxurious versions will be available. A slightly bigger European version, the Nano Europa is due to follow in 2011, and is expected to cost nearer to £4,000. The maximum speed is 65 mph. Tata hopes the 10-foot (3-metre) long, five-seater car will be cheap enough to encourage millions of Indians to trade up from their motorcycles.

Needless to say it's a very basic transportation car absent all the extras that drive the price of cars through the roof, but could it catch on here in America as a second car?

Why is it that innovations like this are coming out of other countries and not right here in America?

Think about the jobs a company making cars like this could bring to the valley.