News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Spring Commons bridge work

Started by northside lurker, August 19, 2008, 06:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I've heard that Mr. Peanut will also attend the ceremony.

Defend Youngstown

Update: Mr. Peanut will be restored to full glory. In addition, the painting is coming along well. The bridge will also be completely lit at night. A planning comission is being devised for this aspect at present. Also, there will be a bridge dedication ceremony and community celebration on either Friday Oct. 10th or 17th late in the afternoon. The Youngstown Fire department will drive an engine truck over the bridge to make it the first vehicle to cross as part of the ceremony to the tune of a bagpiping outfit from Cleveland. The new Fallen Firefighter's plaque will be presented and Anthony's on the River, the Boxcar Lounge, and the new Rust Belt Brewing Company will provide an after party with engine trucks from each station on display at both venues. More to follow.

Rick Rowlands

It will always be the spring commons bridge to me.  And the Sinkwich bridge is still the Mahoning Ave. Bridge, and the peace officers bridge the South Avenue bridge...    What is the new Marshall Street bridge called now? 

Elmo-Ytown

jay

A system of framing and cables holds the fabric cover over all of the bridge's metal structure.

yfdgricker

Thanks for the update Defend Youngstown. I can't wait to be there for the dedication!

Defend Youngstown

yfdgricker:

You are correct. It will be named Firefighter's Memorial and will be painted the red/maroon color that is/was somewhat visible on the west side enclosure. A ceremony is being planned for the dedication. I would like to bring back City Fest next year on June 27th (Ytown Bday) and conduct the fest entirely on the bridge (parade at 12pm from 5th Ave at Stambaugh Stadium to bridge, 2 stages for music - each end, city restaurants/businesses as the vendors).

jay

This is the Spring Commons Bridge in its cocoon.

jay

Will the bridge's Mr. Peanut figure also be painted the same color?   I believe he should be painted a slightly different color so he would be easier to see from passing cars.

northside lurker

I was under the impression that they were going to paint it a sort of park bench green--similar to the dark green on the side of a bottle of Mountain Dew.  But the firefighter's memorial is a great idea, and think it would really "pop" in red, too.

I'll let you know.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

A couple of weeks ago I was over at the B&O and it looked like they had tried multiple paint colors in big squares on the bridge, just like when you try paint colors on your living room wall. All of the colors were on the middle part of the bridge, and then on the supports on the B&O side a large section had been painted in a deep, red maroonish color (almost as if they had chosen that color) I thought it looked really good.

Then again, I guess that could be primer...

yfdgricker

This will sound like a weird question but since you are probably down that way more than I am on a daily basis, when they paint the bridge, let us know what color they paint it.

Here's the reason I ask. A while back, there was talk of rehabbing the Spring Commons Bridge, painting it red and dedicating it as the Firefighter's Memorial bridge due to it's proximity to the Firefighters Memorial and the downtown fire station. I haven't heard if this is still the original plan or not. There are also plans to add another granite monument next to the existing memorial with the names of all the firefighters who died in the line of duty.   

northside lurker

I saw, while riding by on the bus this morning, that the Spring Commons bridge is all wrapped up and appears to be ready for sand-blasting and painting.  I look forward to seeing it when finished.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison