News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Painting At 20 Federal Place

Started by jay, December 26, 2007, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Two of my most favorite places to stop were Kress and G.C. Murphy. At the candy counter they sold loose potato chips that were the very best I've ever had. A .20 cent bag back then was as big as the "Family Size" today.

As to the Christmas Tree, I know that they had one and I do believe that it was near the  escalators.

When I wanted a milk shake, I would stop at the Isalys near the old Strand Theater for an extra thick shake that was so thick that you almost had to eat it with a spoon.

Do you remember the record department at Strouss? I use to go there because I could listen to them in a booth before buying one.

You're absolutely right about the buses. It was nothing to see folks riding the buses with a lot of packages in tow, and the buses back then never ran empty either till they were near the end of the line.

Taking the 1 Elm, 6 Ford or for that matter the 11 Logan it was nothing to run into blue bloods from the wealthier families. Several families went to our church and whenever I ran into them they were as nice as can be. Back then the bus wasn't just for the poor or mill workers.

Two other great places Mother use to take me shopping were Sears when it was across from the County Courthouse and J. C. Penny just up from McKelveys.

Mother never liked McKelveys because if you weren't from the upper crust they could be very snobbish, something that never happened at Strouss.

It's funny in a way because after McKelvey's became Higbee, there was a whole new atmosphere about the store, and I got to know a lot of the clerks there.

As you walked into Strouss front entrance you were hit by all the smells from the perfume counter and they seemed to set the atmosphere for shopping.

When I was working in Pittsburgh, I would shop at Gimbles and Kauffmann, but as big as they were somehow they didn't have the same atmosphere as Strouss'

kenneyjoe330

I sure can remember WAY BACK then - and I agree that Strouss was a much nicer store to shop in - or at that time being dragged around by my Mom  ;D   Wasn't there a large Christmas Tree on the main floor between the up and down escalators to and from the mezzanine - I loved those escalators - they were WAY COOL   8) - - - at Christmas riding them was like a ride at Idora  :laugh: "Watch your feet getting on and HOLD ON"  The steps got bigger - then smaller - they appeared then disappeared - where did they go and where did they come from?  They were awesome to me as a little kid - actually I still think they are an excellent people mover even today  ;)  You can not mention Strouss' without talking about THE MALTS - that was so crowded you would think they were giving them away !

Do you remember the perfume dispenser outside of Livingston's ? ? ?  Downtown Youngstown was someting else 50 years ago.  I can remember the busses being so crowded that they had two going one after another for the same route at Christmas  :o

Thanks for a nice stroll down memory lane  :-*

I know very well Youngstown's downtown will never be what it once was - - -  however - - - I sure am very sure with the correct - - -attitude - - - downtown Youngstown can become an extreemly nice and popular spot to go  :-*

Towntalk

Does anyone remember back when this was Strouss, and at Christmas time they would have a Hammond Organ on the Mezzanine playing Christmas music? I use to love shopping there with Mother at Christmas time. It was a great store, and in so many ways better than McKelvie's. Even their Christmas window displays were better.

jay

Several workers have been repainting the first floor walls and trim of 20 Federal Place.   Work on this project continues throughout the day even though customers are walking about the building.