News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Manufacturing Job Growrth

Started by Towntalk, May 03, 2015, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

And now I bid you good night old pal, it's way past this old broad's bedtime. :laugh:

Towntalk

My speech teacher and debate coach along with Mr. Ryan taught me well old friend.  :) 

AllanY2525

Well, as the old saying goes...."Let's agree to disagree.."

You say that you would move back to your home town if you could and that
that you have lost all faith in Youngstown......well,  I have every faith in Youngstown,
because Youngstown IS MY home town...and I PLAN on moving back THERE when I retire.

....and see, everyone.....me and Towntalk can differ with one another peacefully and with
lively and robust debate !!!

;D  ;D  ;D

Towntalk

My friend: My dear friend Dan Ryan once told me ... "Never fear your tongue." ... After 75 years, 65 of which have been spent in Youngstown, seeing it go from a thriving city of over 100,000 people to one of about 70,000; and having had the pleasure of getting to know on a first name basis many of the makers and shakers in Youngstown, thanks to such people as Mr. Ryan and Clingen Jackson (a personal family friend who use to visit us), I've lost a lot of my faith in Youngstown. Our school system went from a first class system, to one that is a third rate system under state supervision, a city that has lost 90 percent of it's industry; a city being governed by halfwits unfit to govern a sandbox city. And people who think exonomic development is a new restaurant or saloon.
The truth be told, if I had the money to do it, I'd move back to my home town in a heartbeat.

AllanY2525

Towntalk, I've already addressed each and every one of your points (more than once)
in my last couple posts with valid, logical arguments.   You see the glass as half empty,
where I see it half full and loaded with opportunities for the future.

Nobody ever thought Youngstown would be blessed with a project as big as the expansion
at V&M steel, yet here it is in real life.  I am certain there are positions there that do not
require a college degree.

General Motors nearly went out of business during the last recession, yet they are more
than healthy and the plant at Lordstown is doing very well, once again.  I am certain there
are many positions in that plant that do not require a college degree.

Nobody could have forseen the business incubator 20 years ago - here it is, right now.  Even
software companies have positions that do not require college degrees. 

I worked for AOL for 17 years and never attended college - I made it starting out with a diploma
from Rayen High School and NO experience in computers, and worked my way up from customer
support agent to Senior Programmer Analyst - without ever attending college.

No one could have predicted the America Makes institute - the very first of its kind in
the entire United States, would be located in downtown Youngstown, yet here it is.

Manufacturing and warehousing and transporting the raw materials (plastics, metals
and other materials used in 3D printing) does not require a college degree.

The scintering furnaces that are used to finish production of 3D printed metallic
objects are right up the alley of an area with a long history of steelmaking and
metal fabrication and foundry operations. This can be done by persons who do
not posess a college degree.

Companies like V&M and other metal/plastics fabricators and producers would jump at
the chance to develop and sell the raw materials for this industry as it grows, all the
while diversifying their product lines and adding jobs. 

Maintaining the buildings, facilities, etc. of these future business does not require a
college degree. 

General office duties at these organizations does not require a college degree.  I could
go on, but I believe I've already made my point(s) several times over.

Other businesses that benefit from the discretionary spending of such companies and
their well paid employees benefit as well - and more good laying jobs means more
expansion in these business, ie: yet MORE jobs fornthe area - both skilled and unskilled.

The valley benefitted more from the income and property taxes and discretionary spending
of steel WORKERS than it did from the revenues directly generated by the mills in the form of
taxes the mills paid themselves.  The same would apply to workers in these new businesses.

You are a good friend and I always respect your opinion, but in this instance I do
not share it.

Time will tell, one way or the other. I prefer to remain optimistic, and supportive
of ANYTHING that could bring good jobs to the area.

Towntalk

The real stars in our city school system are those in Early College, and they are in the minority in our city.

Towntalk

FACT 1. None of the area High School level VoEd schools offer the kind of courses that would qualify most grads to do most of the jobs you speak of.
FACT 2. Students coming out of the city schools with rare exceptions can't walk into a high tech company and get most of the jobs that would be available.
FACT 3. You are not taking into account the number of young people who are on welfare and too lazy to do something with their lives.
FACT 4. How many of our youth are motivated to do what MUST be done to get any kind of skilled labor job?
FACT 5. The days of walking out of high school and into a skilled labor job are gone. Employers are looking for highly motavated young people who have busted their tails getting the proper education, and for most young people in this area that just ain't gonna happen and that is precisely what the employers have been saying and wht they will not locate here.

AllanY2525

Re-read below.  There are more job opportunities than just software engineering
and materials science involved.  MATERIALS MANUFACTURING (metals, plastics
which are things that are ALREADY being manufactured in the valley).  THE
MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR OF THE PRINTERS AND RELATED EQUIPMENT,
non-technical positions (there inevitably WILL be some of these types of jobs,
both skilled AND unskilled).

As I also stated below, I wouldn't be surprised if Choffin Career Center added
classes in this field - and as we already know, it is NOT a university, it's a trade
school.

As far as YSU grads leaving the area for better opportunities, one of the points
I just made below is that this industry will give these students a reason to NOT
leave the area, ie: a good job in an industry with a promising future - to which
their newly aquired skills directly apply

Towntalk

But what about all the other NON YSU residents in the valley ... those folks who do NOT have the smarts to go to college. Most of the YSU grads are going to leave the area for better jobs in better locations ... VERY FEW OF THEM WILL STAY HERE. The number of University students taking the cources you reference are a drop in the proverbial bucket, and there are NO good paying jobs for young people fresh out of high school who are not college material. Oh, they can clean the houses of the rich, or work at one of the fast food restaurants.

AllanY2525

Y.S.U. is adding new classes to their curriculum specifically for 3D manufacturing
techhnology and materials science/engineering
,  so the answer is that some of
the workforce will come from YSU.   Also, many engineering students already use
CAD software in the course of learning their profession and will graduate with
proficiency in using it.

The university is, afer all, directly affiliated with the institute so this is only logical. 
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Eastern Gateway Community College and the Choffin
(sp?) Career Center were to add classes for this as well.

Bear in mind that YSU is not the only  university affiliated with the America Makes
institute - there are multiple universities involved in the project

Skilled labor is not going to be a problem at all, and some of YSU's bright young
graduates will have good employment opportunities right in Youngstown and
vicinity.

To say that the majority of people in the entire Mahoning valley are too lazy to work
is a pretty broad generalization.  I'm sure there will be more than enough who are
willing to work in a new type of manufacturing, science and engineering where there
are good paying jobs with a promising future.

Towntalk

Quote from: AllanY2525 on May 17, 2015, 05:28:00 AM

3) The area's long history of manufacturing expertise of MANY kinds and the cheap labor

True, the city has a long history in manufacturing, but where is the trained skilled work force? Most of the residents of the valley would drop over dead if they had to do an honest days work.

AllanY2525

I still see some hope for local manufacturing.  Yes, the printers do most of the
work, but not ALL of it.  Software/CAD engineers, people to set up, maintain
and operate the equipment, do post-processing for metallic objects after printing,
etc.

Reasons for 3-D printing technology companies to locate in Youngstown:

1) Local tech expertise from the 3d institute itself, the university

1a) Graduating students from the university, freshly trained in the art of
3-D manufacturing.

2) Commercial space rents/sells for less in Youngstown than many other places

3) The area's long history of manufacturing expertise of MANY kinds and the cheap labor

4) Low cost of living for employees of any company that might locate here.

5) There are opportunities for raw materials suppliers, repair and replacement parts,
consultants who can travel to new facilities to help new companies get set up, etc.

I know that most of the businesses out there will come to Youngstown for R&D help,
as Rick said - but I don't believe that not a single local business will come from any of
this, sorry.

Rick Rowlands

The R&D will happen here, but the manufacturing will not.  Why would it?  Since additive manufacturing is not tied down to location, you can put the printers in any warehouse anywhere around the world, and within milliseconds have the files at your fingertips emailed to you from Youngstown. 

These plants will be located wherever they can get some local govt. to give them the land, pay for the building and abate all taxes of any kind.  Are we that desperate?

AllanY2525

I wouldn't count the 3-D printing research institute out just yet...they're
just getting started and chances are good to excellent that there will be
new manufacturing and tech companies that wind up in Youngstown and/or
the surrounding areas as a direct result of the work being done there.

Youngstown has multiple advantages, here.... the institute is the first of its kind and
of course it's right smack-dab in the middle of the city.

Towntalk

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/may/03/manufacturing-projected-grow-ne-ohio-report-says/?nw
I seriously believe that none of that job growth will happen here in Mahoning County. On the contrary, I see a constant decline, Youngstown is the armpit of the world, and at this point it is a maggot infested loser.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/may/04/team-neo-manufacturing-continues-to-buil/