News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Issues with the forum

Started by ForumManager, January 29, 2015, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you having trouble using this forum?  If yes, Please specify in the forum thread.

Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 13, 2015, 04:42:35 PM

ForumManager

Deleting old posts or attachments probably won't help. I was only concerned about attachments because of the bandwidth used during the upload process... if the connection is slow it can bog the system and cause timeouts, not only for the person uploading but for others that are connected.  There are maintenance  tools in the control panel for the forum and there are automatic maintenance activities on a schedule as well   I did  database optimizations and repairs, removed old logs etc. There were very few minor issues reported during checks and those were fixed.  It doesn't seem like any of those issues would contribute to the issue of members staying connected. It was things like "the size of this file is being reported incorrectly" etc.  I can change a server setting to be  "persistent connection" but if I do the forum might be blacklisted as a resource hog with the host and they could shut it down completely.  They have assured me that nothing is going on with the server... not sure that  I believe them but I have no choice but to trust.  Nothing has changed on the host in the last few weeks.  I have 10 websites running on my account and none are experiencing any kind of timeouts or connection issues.  Although none of them are similar to a forum with people actively posting material.   I don't know what to say.  I've looked into the issues, the company has looked into the issues and there are no errors showing that could tell us why this is happening. I can't re-create the issue on my computer...I wish I could so I have more source information right in front of me.

Towntalk

Not so far. I'm going to be busy all day today on a research project but I'll check in again this evening. Hopefully the problem can be resolved because I really love this site.
I was also thinking. Would a bulk delete of the pile of old stuff that has been on the memories page help? Most of that material has long run its course, and if it would help that's OK with me.
I'm currently working on compiling a history of Youngstown theaters for another web site, and that is taking up much time between sifting through old Vindicators, editing pictures and posting them on the CinemaTreasures web site.

ForumManager

Are there issues today so far?

Towntalk

I thought about the cookie business so I shut off both security and privacy to see if that was the problem, but the results were the same so I put them back on default.

ForumManager

I haven't been knocked off at all... I've tried to make it knock me off by posting several times in a row.

ForumManager

You can post pictures.... it just won't accept big ones.. but I think I will remove the limit soon since that doesn't seem to be the issue.
You are saying there are problems staying logged in?
Have any of you changed your cookie settings on your browsers.  They site uses cookies to identify people and remember preferences.  I am going to see if there is a way I can run tests on the cookies.

Towntalk

I haven't been posting pictures after this problem started. My problem is that there are times when I can't log in, and others when I can't log out. Also, at times I can make one or two posts, but then the next post will not get posted and I'm knocked off the site. When all this started, I thought there was something wrong with my computer, but I wasn't having any problems with any other site, so I don't know what's wrong, but I'll be careful not to post any pictures here until you say it's OK.

ForumManager

I set up the image upl0ad to be smaller Towntalk so you might have issues if trying to upload large images.  The hosting company has looked into this but can't fined the problem.  I am running the forum with barebones settings now.

Towntalk

Yes, there will be times when I try to get in, but can't, but it's not a consistent problem, yet very annoying when there is something that I want to post, but can't. There are also problems when I try to log out. The next time I get the problem, I'll post a screen shot of the message I get.

jay

Is anyone still having problems with the Forum?  If so, please describe the problems you are having.

ForumManager

If your photos are large in byte size you can  crunch your photos down at these links
http://www.webresizer.com/
http://www.picresize.com/
Ideally photos should be under 80 kilobytes.

ForumManager

The issue of timing out could  be due to very large images being uploaded.  That puts a strain on the server and can the host to throttle the connections to the forum.
For the next week  there will be a limit of 100 kilboytes in image size to see if this is the issue.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

ForumManager

ForumManager

ForumManager