News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Issues with the forum

Started by ForumManager, January 29, 2015, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you having trouble using this forum?  If yes, Please specify in the forum thread.

Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 13, 2015, 04:42:35 PM

ForumManager

Craziness... hope that it doesn't interfere with your access.  We'll see how it goes.

jay

I'm happy to have the spam control placed on new members.  Each day the Forum was getting oven 50 membership applications from all over the world.

ForumManager

Thanks Towntalk. The issue seemed to have fixed itself so I am stumped.  Today I restored the spam control  and will wait to hear if there are any problems before I add back other modifications one at a time.

Towntalk

As usual you've done fantastic work, and we're really greatful to you.

ForumManager

Thanks for all of your patience. I made some changes today... Please report any problems.   I RE-installed  the spam controls that will deter many of the  spam registrations.  I also upped the attachment  image size limit to 250kb so you can attach bigger images to your posts.

Towntalk

Towntalk

Things have been better all day.  :)

jay

Things are working better this evening.

Towntalk

Too bad that Allan isn't in town he could be a lot of help in tracing the problem. His whole career has centered around programming starting with AOL.

Towntalk

I read some time ago that that Chinese spider gave other sites a problem so that was why I asked. Could there be some sort of virus?

ForumManager

hmmmm.... spammers are an issue- spiders are only browsing.  I just removed  spam controls today so we will probably be dealing with tons of bad registrations again. The spiders are fine. They haven't caused an issue in 10 years.  Spiders browse all websites.  I have the settings so they can be seen by members too.   They would still be there if you didn't see them. 

Towntalk

I created a special folder to put notes in for things I want to post here so that when things are working right I can post them. I wonder if the weather has anything to do with it. When things get super busy ... and what about all those spiders? I heard that they could cause problems for web sites.

ForumManager

I don't think it is the host.  I just don't know what to do.

Towntalk

Please don't. My day centers around this forum ... first thing in the morning ... many times during the day ... last thing before going to bed. You've given us an inmearurable gift and words can't properly express our gratitude. If you were to go to another host, how would you be able to transfer all the members over to a new one? If you were to just shut it down, I for one would honestly be heartbroken.

ForumManager

Maybe I should remove all the spam controls?  That's the only thing left.