News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Crime In Boardman

Started by Towntalk, August 31, 2006, 10:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

Quote from: Towntalk on September 02, 2006, 10:44:50 AM
ABSOLUTELY NO!!!!!!!!

If you would listen to talk radio --- especially WKBN, you would soon discover that THOSE CALLERS FROM BOARDMAN are most certainly anti-Youngstown. Make no mistake about it, Most of the people living in Boardman can trace their roots back to Youngstown, and they would rather bash their heads against a brick wall till it's a puddle of mush before they would move back to even the very best section of the city.

I know what you mean completely.  I used to work at a bank in Boardman.  As you're probably aware, a lot of Boardman residents have mailing addresses that include the word "Youngstown".  That's how their addresses would show up in my computer system.  I remember quite a few customers that insisted that their addresses say Boardman, rather than Youngstown, when ordering new checks.  I always thought that was pretty funny.  Especially when I would verify their address with them and they would correct me, in an uppity voice, "No, it's BOARDMAN."  

Maybe at one time it might have been prestigious to live in Boardman, but I don't see the appeal.  Taxes are way too high.  The school system is not that great.  There's too much traffic.  And, as you can see from the Vindy piece, there's crime there too.  I rented an apartment in Boardman before buying a home on the West Side.  I actually feel safer on the West Side.

I go to Boardman to shop at Target or the mall and that's about it.  Many times, I can't wait to leave suburban hell when I'm done.  Some of the attitudes there are ridiculous.

ForumManager

Quote from: Leah on September 02, 2006, 08:20:17 AM
I looked at the stats and there were quite a few Boardman residents committing crimes in Boardman on their own.

I noticed this too.
The majority of Youngstown resident related crimes were petty theft and marijuana or other drug possession.

I found one amusing, the woman was stopped on a traffic violation and was arrested because she didn't pay Rent a Center for her computer... definitely on the priority list. (Sorry - lack of  priorities gets to me.) Good reason to keep up on those payments!! LOL

Interesting to note that the violent and weapon possession crimes listed were primarily committed by Boardman residents.

There was a lot of open ended crime where no one was arrested. A lot of it seems like things kids would do.

QuoteWhy do you think that the hospitals are building new facilities in Boardman and not Youngstown?
I disagree with this.  People would have come to the city for health care if they had no other choice.
The hospitals may have been eligible for funding in order  to build new facilities instead of rebuilding old ones and perhaps  funding was available for establishing satellite facilities.

So many people opt for inner city Cleveland and Pittsburgh for health care instead of Youngstown on their doctor's recommendation.
I can remember going to consult in Cleveland once and being cautioned by their staff to be wary of the neighborhood and the parking garage.

Towntalk

ABSOLUTELY NO!!!!!!!!

If you would listen to talk radio --- especially WKBN, you would soon discover that THOSE CALLERS FROM BOARDMAN are most certainly anti-Youngstown. Make no mistake about it, Most of the people living in Boardman can trace their roots back to Youngstown, and they would rather bash their heads against a brick wall till it's a puddle of mush before they would move back to even the very best section of the city.

Do I hold it against them?

ABSOLUTELY NO!!!!!!!!

If I could afford it, I'd move out of Youngstown in a heart beat.

Would I move to Boardman?

ABSOLUTELY NO!!!!!!!

I came from a small town in Pennsylvania and had hoped to move back there after I retired, but circumstances prevented me from doing so.

Do I "hate" Youngstown?

No. The very fact that one of my main hobbies is the history of Youngstown, and I have a library of Youngstown that is larger than most of the folks on this board ... file cabnets full of it, a ten volume history of Youngstown that I edited, and a web site that with the help of the Administrator of this board I run demonstrate that.

The fact remains that MOST of the people of Boardman want as little to do with Youngstown as possible.

Look at the uproar that is raised every time the suggestion is raised to incorporate Boardman into Youngstown, and the same can be said for Austintown and Campbell.

Why do you think that the city is having a hard time keeping businesses in Youngstown?

Why do you think that the hospitals are building new facilities in Boardman and not Youngstown?

Leah

Are you saying that the people of Boardman hate Youngstown because people from Youngstown come into Boardman and commit crimes?

I looked at the stats and there were quite a few Boardman residents committing crimes in Boardman on their own.

Towntalk

Why do the people of Boardman not like Youngstown? Take a look at the following stats to see why.

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/65138927916271.php