News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wealth Beyond Measure

Started by Towntalk, April 05, 2013, 11:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynds

Towntalk

Need your e-mail address to send it.

Lynds

Towntalk,
can you email that image to me in a larger format?

Towntalk

The caption didn't say, but given the date of the photo, it could have been David Tod, but don't hold me to that. Tod died on May 14, 1917, so his widdow or children could have still been living there in 1930, the year of the photo.

Ref: History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley -- By J. G. Butler -- Vol. 2: pg. 221 - 222.

Rick Rowlands

Which Tod lived there?  William lived down on Lincoln.

northside lurker

It's still difficult for me to tell, but I think the Tod Mansion is still there.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Does this help?

The Tod and Crandall mansions.

northside lurker

I like "Heedy Mansion" much better than Covington House. (Covington House being the last name it had, when it was a group home)  Is the Tod Mansion still there?  It's hard to tell from that picture how close the next house is/was to the Crandall Mansion.

Just FYI, the Heedy Mansion is under renovation by Dom Gatta, and is being converted to high end apartments.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Broadway between Elm Street and Fifth Avenue was home to some of the most important families in Youngstown in the 1930's with wealth amounting in the millions. Some of these homes are still standing as monuments to these families, and it would be a great idea if a historical marker were placed in this area in honor of these families.

In the photo left to right are the homes of the Tod's, the Crandall's, and the Heedy's.