News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Institution Closing

Started by Towntalk, November 14, 2012, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

I never heard of this club until I saw the headline this morning.

How did it last this long?

iwasthere

i am besides myself on this issue. one side says i am glad this type of club is gone from our mists. the other side thinks ponders the closing affects many of my frds that work there and they are members there too that are children from immgriants that once this club found inferior. who tried thier damnest to keep this historical club afloat. i would like to see someone buy this club and open it up a restaurant/banquet center. tt your story canbe one of our stories during our lifetimes. tt is true people do change for the better after a personal tradegy. most of time.

jay

QuoteYup, the 47 percent of us never got an invite.....Really surprised Mitt didn't eat lunch there this year....and that Paul Ryan didn't wash dished there either....

A downtown restaurant needs to appeal to a large customer base that actually has money to spend. 

Would a restaurant want five wealthy customers who each spend $50 per meal or would the restaurant want 200 customers who spend $10 per meal?

irishbobcat

Yup, the 47 percent of us never got an invite.....Really surprised Mitt didn't eat lunch there this year....and that Paul Ryan didn't wash dished there either....

Towntalk

Times and people change ... When I was little, my Grandmother had no use for Italians, but when my Father (a volunteer fireman) was hurt while fighting a fire the neighborhood ladies came in to help my Mother care for Dad right to till the time he died. That experience changed my Grandmother, and from that point on, she and the neighborhood ladies became great friends, and they looked after her like she was family.

The big deal with her was the fact that they were Catholic.

One year after my Mother remarried Grandmother came for a visit, and Mother, knowing how Grandmother felt about Catholics was going to arrange for her to be taken to church by a neighbor who was Methodist, but Grandmother knew that Mother was the church organist at our church, (Sacred Heart) and she wanted to hear mother play, so they took her to our church, and afterwards, our pastor Msgr. Martin took her for a tour of the church, and while she never converted, a lot of the myths she had been taught were dispelled, and for the rest of her visit she went to our church.

One of the things that impressed her was the fact that Mother would play some of the Protestant hymns Grandmother loved with the full concent of our Pastor.

iwasthere

tt one must never forget it was for rich white anglo saxon protestants sect that held to their beliefs that the immigrants are inferior to thier livelihood. signs were adorned at the door Negros, Irish and Italians need not applied. i celebrated many occasions at the yc but i left there needing a shower to wash off all the bigotry that the yc dished out to my ancestors that came from the ole country. sad its going but i am not going to miss it and what thier wasp members stood for as thier mission statement.

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk

It's a sad day for Youngstown ... the food there was super fantastic ... the atmosphere was fantastic ... and memberships were not as expensive as many would think. It's just that the club had a reputation for being only for the wealthy, and unfortunately they didn't do the sort of publicity that would encourage professionals such as yourself to join until the last few years via the internet.

irishbobcat

Well, they're closing....guess I'll head to 7-11 for a hot dog and Slurpie....

Towntalk

:)  My friend, you would be welcomed with open arms and joyful heart to be a member.  :)

irishbobcat

Towntalk....up until 2 years ago....I had never heard of this place......
Since you needed to be a someone from "high society"....I guess my invitation to join got lost in the mail all these years....

Towntalk

Photos inside the Youngstown Club

Towntalk

Not that it matters to the folks on mahoningvalley.info, but after 100 years downtown, The Youngstown Club is closing its doors for good, and that is a major blow for those who enjoy fine dining at its very best. This restaurant is without any exception the most beautiful restaurant in the valley, and their meals and service have always been world class, but then I guess that most folks here prefer the slop dished out at the at the slop shop eateries than do dine in a quality dining room.