News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Institution Closing

Started by Towntalk, November 14, 2012, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Our favorite restaurant downtown is Cafe Cimmentos, and the only evening that we have ever seen that place busy was after the Clinton rally in October.  We actually prefer that it isn't busy because our board of directors holds our meetings there over dinner and don't want all the extra noise.  I think we would have probably moved to the Youngstown Club instead but didn't even think of it as an option. 

The old days of executives from the surrounding office towers meeting up for cocktails after the close of business are over in Youngstown.  We used to be a city where several large corporations had their offices, but that is now gone.   About the only restaurants that thrive in downtown now are those that cater to the young population, and even the youngest, most artist and leftist friendly restaurant in downtown couldn't pay their bills. 

Towntalk

Without question, absent proper promotion, you're right, yet don't forget that in Cleveland, a section of former industrial land was turned into a thriving entertainment district. It's all in the promotion and publicity.

I can recall the day when restaurants regulairly ran commercials on the local radio stations, and ads in The Vindicator.

You can't open up a restaurant anywhere without proper promotion in the media.

Towntalk

Come on my friend, again give me a break, you are citing one chef one restaurant, and not even in our area. By the way, another Food Channel Iron Chef had a couple of restaurants in Cleveland that are award winning five star restaurants. His name is Michael Simon. If he were to take over the Youngstown Club and run it as a regular restaurant, I guarintee you that it would be a success.

I can agree that the days of private club restaurants in cities like Youngstown are long past, but folks still crave top shelf restaurants here they can enjoy fine dining at a price that is consistent with our economy.

Is such a restaurant possable in downtown Youngstown? Now that is quite another question, and I have doubts on that score.

jay

An unfortunate fact about downtown Youngstown

If you're not located on West Federal Street, your restaurant has three strikes against it.

jay

The Food Network's Guy Fieri recently opened a new restaurant in New York City.  A New York Times restaurant critic gave the restaurant the worst review ever.

Towntalk

Oh, come on Jay give me a break, where a restaurant is located is important but not the only factor ... the quality of its food and service are the ONLY factors of any consequence ... apparently you don't watch The Food Network channel or you would know that I'm right.

Folks around Youngstown today are satisfied with run of the mill mom and pop diners and national chain grease factories, and for them any first class restaurant is "for snobs only".

Why should anyone patronize for example any of the sandwich shops in town when at half the price they can whip up the very same sandwich in their kitchen at half the price, and make them to their own taste?

If I'm going out to dine the factors I look for are the quality of the food and service. Does that restaurant feature foods that I can't make at home? That is another key factor.

There isn't a restaurant downtown that meets these criteria 100%.

Where for example can I get Fresh Oysters on Ice at any of the downtown restaurants. This is a very simple dish that the chef can prepare in five minutes or less, just fresh raw oysters on a bed of ice and a side of dipping sauce, yet it is as expensive as good beef steak.

As for beef dinners, in this order I look for: 1. Filet Mignon, 2. Porterhouse steak, or 3. New York Strip Steak, along with the side dishes that go witrh them.

iwasthere

tt i do for bad that my frds will lose thier jobs that was on driving force for me to promote yc. you are right about the new money and member. i would had felt comfortable of they new oil pts of recent members instead of prune faces and tight arses turn of the century members.

jay

The Youngstown Club had three locations in the downtown over the past 100 years.  The club was always located on the upper floors to each building......looking down on everyone else.

Successful restaurants of today are located at street level.

Towntalk

No one is expecting anyone to shed a single tear for anyone. Hecks pups, I really could care less at this point just as I could care less if any other eatery, especially downtown and the west side closes for good and all.

I do though care that 20 people will lose their jobs.

My support goes to North Side eateries and grocery stores ... I do most of my shopping in Liberty exclusively and wouldn't drop so much as a single penny in any Boardman store, and could care less about businesses in any other part of town.

Each time I shop at the Belmont Giant Eagle, the folks there treat me wonderfully as do the folks at the Union Square Save-A-Lot so why should I shop at any other store.

Sure, I have tastes like a millionare so I support the Youngstown Symphony, enjoy whipping up fancy meals, enjoy good music, have a library of great books but I'm under no illusions about my station in life, and I certainly do not begrudge those who are better off than I am.

I'm no millionare, I don't drive car (I don't drive period), and I don't have fancy duds so when people I do business with treat me as good as if I did have all these fancy things, that counts for something.

I am forever thankful for the lessions that my parents instilled in me both in my love for reading good books, enjoying great music, and treating all people regardless of their station in life the way that I want to be treated, because it has paid off in the way I'm treated.

irishbobcat

Towntalk, I find it funny that "rich moguls" never shed a tear when they close factories or a business for lack of money...

But I'm supposed to shead a tear when the "rich moguls" have to close their private club for lack of money....

OK, I'll cry...boo-hoo.....

Towntalk

Dennis, 95% of the families that founded the Youngstown Club no longer live here, and all that is left are family members who are at best Middle Class. What's left are a handfull of new money folks.

Towntalk

I realize that for the descendants that it's hard to forget, but here's some consolation. most of the members of the Youngstown are "new money", and the descendants of the old money families have little more than the family name to live on.

irishbobcat

Towntalk....the business "moguls" formed the club...it was for their high society. It was for them. That I have no problem with.
It had the reputation it was for the wealthy because it was for the wealthy.
Now the wealthy don't want to put the money into it to keep it going. So be it.

iwasthere

tt it is not about being a snob. it is about respect. the immgrigants 's children did not want to support people who would run them out town after they used them for cheap labor, burned crosses in thier yds because of skin color or had a christian or jewish name. the ole italian expression "you can spit up in the air, it will eventually come down".

Towntalk

The same way as the Mahoning Country Club, but judging by what a number of folks have posted about it, they'd also look their noses down at the Country Club even though its open to everyone and has its own fine dining restaurant. As early as the 1940's the MCC has had a number of events that were open to the general public such as concerts and dances, and any group can book events there.

It's a shame that there is so much reverse snobbery around today. You would think that in this day of age that attitudes would have improved.