News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Farmers' Market - Tuesday, September 11

Started by jay, September 09, 2012, 09:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Towntalk

I bought 10 red and yellow peppers at Save-A-Lot for $5.26 and lettuce for $1.49, Cucumbers at 2 for $1.00. That put the peppers at about .53 cents each.

Rushblvd

I bought 2-red peppers at the market for $1.00--At Giant Eagle it was $3.99 a pound

Towntalk

iwasthere

i do not know which is cheaper fm or local groceries produce but at the fm i see and talk to the farners that grow the veg and frts that i buy. you can est a frdsp with the farmers that you cannot do when you buy at the local grocery stores.

Towntalk

Okra isn't one of more popular vegetables which explains why most store don't handle it, but many have canned okra. Fresh is better though.

jay

I've checked two grocery stores and neither sells okra.  One woman at the farmers' market grows and sells fresh okra.

jay

The next time I'm at a farmers' market I'll try to make a price list.

I know green bell peppers (you pick the size) recently sold for 2 for $1.00.

Towntalk

What about lettuce, celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, cantaloupe, cabbage, parsnips, radishes, garlic, pumpkins, watermelon, apples, grapes, asparagus, kale, rhubarb, squash, parsnips, tomatoes, and eggplant? Westsider was referring to comparative prices in dollars and cents. Example a head of lettuce at Save-A-Lot sells for $1.25; green peppers $1.39 a pound.

jay

QuoteBut, I'm curious about how the prices of locally grown produce sold at the farmers' market compares with the prices of locally grown produce found at local grocers.

Much of the produce sold in grocery stores is sold by the pound.  Most produce sold at farmers' markets is sold by volume such as in a quart container.

Towntalk

Great question westsider ... great indeed ... Also how does the prices at White House Fruit Farm compare with both the local grocery stores and the farmers markets?

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on September 09, 2012, 09:49:50 AM
I do shop locally  ;D  and since I don't go out of town for my meals, I also eat locally  ;D  at home where I can fix my meals to my own taste.  ;D  and I also put my money where my mouth is ... IN THE BANK.  ;D 

I don't comparison shop. (and I don't buy much produce, at all)  But, I'm curious about how the prices of locally grown produce sold at the farmers' market compares with the prices of locally grown produce found at local grocers.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

I do shop locally  ;D  and since I don't go out of town for my meals, I also eat locally  ;D  at home where I can fix my meals to my own taste.  ;D  and I also put my money where my mouth is ... IN THE BANK.  ;D 

jay

Downtown Farmers' Market

Corn, Maple Granola,
Baked Goods, Cucumbers, Squash, Greens,
  Peaches, Peppers, Okra and More

Tuesday, September 11
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

- Location -
Central Square
Market at West Federal
Downtown Youngstown