News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"21 Gun Salute"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, July 14, 2012, 09:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk, the links were calming, thank you.
Dennis, inspite of our environmental beliefs, you are a gentleman.
Sarge, online and offline, you look healthy to me and you may be around longer than you think so just live day to day and enjoy them.  Even though I am not a local, my wife for 27 years, her mother and late father,  have had me help them to maintain their love ones graves every year.  I believe I know the cemetary fairly well.  One of the honored soldiers killed in WWII next to the shrine in front (Marzetti), is my wife's first cousin, she never met him.  Placing flags on her father's and others graves is another honor, thank you.   

sfc_oliver

BTW Ron. I noticed that where the grave is happens to be the section of the cemetery I reserve for myself when placing flags for memorial day. I have 2 friends in that section. I'll make sure there is a flag there every year, as long as I'm still here myself..........
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

irishbobcat

Ron, so sorry for your loss.....

Veterans, thank you for still providing the final salute....

sfc_oliver

When I was called by our Fianance Officer and asked if we could do a funeral for a veteran, I reminded him that our normal funeral ceremonies are geared towards Legionaires. And we could not do the funeral home ceremony. However, our post is yet to turn down a request for a rifle squad for a veteran.

It was our honor to fire his salute.

I normally do attend the luncheons with the other members, and as Commander i should. But being just 6 weeks from my bypass I still get a bit tired rather quickly.

It was good to see you, but let's not meet in those places anymore.....

Once again, I was honored to provide the honor squad.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Youngstownshrimp

Sarge,
Tried to see you after the funeral of my father-in-law in Lowellville.  I wanted to thank you personally, but you were not there with the rest of the guard at Beckers.  On behalf of my family, we would like to thank you and the American Legion for your service in time of need.  My father-in-law was one of the dwindling great generation of WWII and the 21 gun salute was the climax of his funeral.  As a veteran, I was proud of your Legion's respect and you certainly are a patriot my friend.