News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Charter Review Commission Meeting - Monday, February 13

Started by jay, February 11, 2012, 06:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jay

Each could have created an email account on any of the free email services and only used it for the duration of the commission's work.

Most people have multiple email accounts.

Towntalk

I have an unlisted phone number that I only give out when it is absolutely necessary because I don't want just anyone to waste my time. It could be that the two asked that their e-mail not be listed, or that they receive their e-mail from a family members e-mail account and don't have their permission to give it out.

jay

The Commission chairman distributes minutes, agenda, and more via email.  These two have to have hard copies delivered to them.  While I feel hard copies should always be available, not having email slows down the committee's communication process.

Towntalk

I didn't realize that an e-mail was a requirement for commission membership.

jay

Two members of the Charter Review Commission don't have email addresses.

???

Towntalk

Some also say that the world will come to a firey end on December 21, 2012.

Unfortunately I don't go into a swoon over any political hack, nor would I make any concerted effort to go to any political rally even if it was right across the street. I'd rather spend the time watch a Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy movie. Come to think about it, without exception our City Council are Moe, Larry, Curley, Stanley and Oliver wanna be's.

jay

Re: Term Limits

Some say that if an elected official is that bad, someone will run against him and  he will be replaced in the next election.

Towntalk

Two two year terms for City Council is sufficient for anyone. These were NEVER meant to be lifetime careers. Further I would even go so far as to make them run on a NON-PARTISAN ticket.

As to the city's Chief Executive, bring in a man who has business experience, at least a Masters degree, and years of working in the private sector as a CEO, or similar position. Hire a City Manager.

My view of the position of the person who would fill the role of Mayor is expressed elsewhere.

northside lurker

What's wrong with eliminating term limits?  In local politics, this allows a councilmember to work on long term goals, instead of pursuing short term fixes, to make themselves look good while in office. (leaving a mess for the next councilmember)

In my hometown of Massillon, the mayor continued to be re-elected for decades.  He was able to revitalize downtown, and he initiated many other long-term redevelopment projects over the years.  In more recent years, he wasn't as successful, and was voted out last fall.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Abolish term limits he says?  >:( Abolish term limits he says  >:(

>:( Hey dude, being a City Councilman is  >:( NOT  :( a lifetime position, CAN YOU DIG?  >:(

>:( AS FOR MAYOR, I SAY HIRE A CITY MANAGER AND MAKE THE POSITION OF MAYOR SIMPLY A CERAMONIAL JOB THAT ANY BLAME FOOL CAN DO.  >:(

jay

Stewie,

The minutes will be posted only after they have been corrected and approved by the entire Charter Review Commission.

jay

Mayor Sammarone addressed the Charter Review Commission at the meeting.  His main points were

- Strengthen the city's ethics policy
- Two year terms for councilmen and mayor
- Eliminate term limits
- Stronger code enforcement (perhaps a new department)
- Reduce the need for bid contracts back to $10,000

stewie

What happened to the meeting minutes that were on the website? PK?

jay

Youngstown Charter Review Commission Meeting

Monday, February 13
5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.

- Location -
Council Caucus Room
Sixth Floor
City Hall
26 S. Phelps Street
Downtown Youngstown

Temporary Website of the
Youngstown Charter Review Commission