News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Dead animal removal

Started by PMDragon, August 07, 2011, 07:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

Glad you finally had it removed.  Nothing to ruin a nice weather day like a dead animal.

PMDragon

Thanks, My 2, yes that was the office I contacted. Finally after 2 more calls today (starting at 8am)  someone arrived at 12:15.

our2cents

Dead animal:
Call Public Works at 330-742-8800 between 8 AM to 4 PM.

We just had a dead cat picked up and they were here the same day.  If it's on private property, then the property owner must remove the animal...unless it bit someone.  Then the health department should be contacted if it's potentially rabid as they have a process to send the head to columbus to be tested for rabies.

Oh, and the dead animals usually end up in re-processing plants.  Bone meal for plants, fertilizer, animal feed...etc.

PMDragon

No, this dog was not dumped, it was a loose possibly stray dog that was SHOT by a passing car, right outside my house. note: Mine is a corner lot with side of the house very close to sidewalk-devil strip-road. Since my last post, earlier this evening, I've had to close ALL windows, the odor was making me sick. No one should have to live with that, in such close proximity, for a weekend. Yes, I'm aware of the process fro reporting road kill, in general, but this is a little more of an issue than a squirrel/chipmonk etc. in the road. So as a tax-paying citizen I'm not allowed to know who city council contracts with? I'm sure if the mayor had to tolerate this situation for the weekend a request for some sort of special attention might occur.

jay

I've had to report a few road kills over the years.

These are my observations and they could be incorrect.

The city only contracts for the removal of larger animal road kills.  I don't believe they pick up chipmunks, mice, birds, squirrels or rabbits.

Road kills are called in to the department of public works.  The department records the information and forwards to location to the contractor.  I believe the contractor is paid per carcass removed.  The city in essence manages the contractor's work load.  There is less chance for an unscrupulous contractor to fudge the numbers
I doubt that this a full time job.  Maybe the person waits to pick up several animals in the same part of the city.

Question

Where are these dead animals dumped?

This is a job I would never want.

PMDragon

Does anyone know who/what co. is contracted by the city to remove dead animals? As far as I've been able to find out, the city "contracts out" a private person/co. to do this. This person/co. can ONLY be reached through a private cell phone number (which is not given out) and his/her/its name would not be revealed as well. I will highly recommend to my councilwoman that when or if this person's contract is up for review, by city council, that they consider not to renew but to search for a more reliable,  conscientious contractor. Here's my story: At 5:00 am Sat. a dog was shot (drive by). One shot was heard followed by yelping sounds. Car drove off, dog crawled onto devil strip, partially laying on the sidewalk and died. Police came, took report and said that someone will be out to take care of the animal. By 5:00 pm, I called the non-emergency number to inquire again , as the dog was still there. I was told a person was notified and "someone will be out". When I asked if there was a person or number I could contact to assist in the process, I was told "no". As the evening wore-on, with the aid of warm, humid weather, wafts of garbage-y, rotten odors began to fill the air. This is quite uncomfortable to me because of the proximity of the carcass to my home. It lies on a sidewalk that runs alongside my house (within 4-5 ft.), just outside the dining and living rooms. Well today is sun. and the carcass is still there, I've kept my blinds closed (I'm tired of seeing it) and as of this afternoon's heat and humidity have started closing windows to try and reduce the smell coming into my house! Problem for me is I don't have central air so I need to keep windows open. I called again only to be told that it was reported, and that the person is contracted out and they have no control over when the person would respond but he would probably be out on Mon. I shared my situation with them and was told that's is all that could be done. This is disgusting.  I'd like to see this "contracted person" or any of our city officials live a weekend with this at their homes, Ha, it would never happen. Thanks for listening, appreciate any info anyone has to share.