News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Citywide Vacant Land Reuse Competition

Started by jay, July 30, 2011, 06:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

WITHOUT A DOUBT MVOC has an agenda W-I-T-H-O-U-T  A DAM DOUBT and you dear sir - you have NO agenda whatsoever  ??? and profess this NO agenda all by yourself  ???  And do it at what cost  ??? to you or anyone else  ??? It IS an nonprofit organization much like others in the area that are government approved nonprofit organizations   :o  It might be worth only what Wean gives it - what of it  ???  It has it's FOLLOWERS and it has it's followers - PEOPLE who feel the same or share the same views.  They may very well vote the same way   :laugh: not a far fetched assumption.  And YOU my dear sir - you support organizations that are contrary to what ever mindset you are  ???  And THAT money comes directly from Truth and Justice and The American Way (NOT to be confused with United Way  ;D??? :laugh:  It my well go the way of ACORN some day  ::) I would hope if there IS something wrong with MVOC that YOU would find it and help bring it to Justice  ;)  After having defended MVOC I WILL admit that I have observed "leaders" of organizations and "groups" lead people around and through hoops with little effort and to a predetermined outcome - I think that IS called Leadership - I guess I don't have to like it.  Even if I like the outcome it does not mean I like how that outcome came about ! ! !

By the by how IS the shrimp business doing on the east side? ? ?   

Youngstownshrimp

So the common goal for the MVOC is to bring people together so they can vote for whatever the MVOC says to vote for?

And is it true leadership for the MVOC staff to be paid good salaries today while asking the masses to volunteer for their projects?

Just as ACORN was outed, the MVOC is obviously a political group with an Agenda, many are saying this now in the Valley.

kenneyjoe330

I apologise Mr. Youngstownshrimp. I must have misread your last post of 31 July.  My bad ! ! !  I would disagree with you about MVOC and the new Landbank - I think MVOC has done and will continue to do a tremendous good by bring people together for a common goal and to hold accountable those elected officials responsible for the achievement of said goal.  The New Landbank is just getting started and it is what THE PEOPLE wanted including myself - here again MVOC is aiding people to see that the Landband will be implemented.  I know very little about YNDC so will reserve any comment.  I am sure they are trying to do good.   I have had dealings with Lien Forward and - this does NOT happen very often and is extremely unusual for me - you know that saying "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all"   :-X :-X :-X  AND   :-X :-X :-X  further more  :-X :-X :-X    :laugh:

How is the shrimp business these days ?   After the initial city hoopla about the ponds and Vindicator publicity story on their success, I have heard nothing ! ! !  So how goes it ?  Despite all the initial problems, I do hope it either IS successful or WILL SOON BE SUCESSFUL  :)  Have others ventured into this program.  I always thought it would be nice to own a Catfish Farm.  I really do not like the looks of them and I am quite afraid of them - but if you know how to cook them and if they are FRESH - YUMM YUMM can't get much better than that  ;D

Youngstownshrimp

Give up, who, me?

I never give up, this is why I am not on welfare or SSI.

kenneyjoe330

WOW Mr. Youngstownshrimp you sound as though you are giving up  :'( and putting your present problems for the next generations to cope with   :'(- I am truly sorry to hear that - I LOVE   :laugh: shrimp and got a 50 by 150 city lot next door that already has a hole (thanks to Youngstown City Demolition Department's Inspection Crew) and would have just LOVED to raise shrimp in it.  One day some friends of mine and I would like to go 'by' your place to see what we could see.  I am really sorry to hear such a FANTASTIC project has gone the BYE ! ! !  :'(

Youngstownshrimp

Rick, as I predicted a lot of defunding of the entitled is going on.  The YNDC, MVOC, Landbank and Lien Forward are now tasked to produce, sadly they have no track record of production.  They all rallied for a landbank now they cannot even come up with a plan of their own to utilize vacant parcels thus the contest.  Speaking of the Landbank, it will fail before it even starts, even the largest Landbank of them all the dormant City landbank now is taking proposals for its mineral rights.  Struthers I understand is not interested in putting their landbank in the hands of the inept.  Fact, all City delinquent parcels over five acres is now being cleaned up by investors to market the mineral rights.

As for the shrimp project, thank you but the entitled will never acknowledge what we have done to set an example for vacant lot production.  I am now convinced that the entitled are not capable of production and work whatsoever, it will take another generation to wean the laziness out of the genetic pool.

Rick Rowlands

Ron you should win this competition hands down for putting shrimp farms on vacant land.  Its an original idea, green, sustainable, fits in with the "grow local" movement, etc.  But all you got were bureaucrats in your face, lawsuits, people wanting to shut you down etc.

Youngstownshrimp

Great idea?  How about assembling all the parcels to make acreage, joining with the City landbank lands, and then leasing the mineral rights creating hundreds of jobs?  What about using all the same abandoned land for the growing of hemp for cordage?  And the winner is .........................the entitled neighborhood organized community garden built by Joe Landscaping Company with Wean money, yes!

jay

YNDC Launches Citywide Vacant Land Reuse Competition
Lots of Green 2.0: A Call for Innovation

July 29, 2011 – The YNDC has launched a new citywide vacant land reuse competition, Lots of Green 2.0: A Call for Innovation. The goal of the competition is to ignite innovative vacant land reuse projects and empower neighborhood groups across the city to participate in their neighborhood's revitalization. With a citywide inventory of approximately 24,000 vacant parcels, applicants are encouraged to propose solutions that will catalyze other neighborhood revitalization activities and/or offer innovative ideas that could be replicated at a large scale. All grassroots or community organizations located within the city of Youngstown are eligible to apply.

A review committee of neighborhood and community leaders will assist the YNDC in selecting the most innovative and impactful projects to support with financial and technical resources. Project awards will range from a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $10,000. Applications will be accepted until Friday, September 30 at 5pm.

"This initiative will provide neighborhood groups and grassroots leaders with the financial and technical resources to transform formerly blighted, vacant lots into neighborhood assets," noted Presley L. Gillespie, YNDC executive director.

As part of the application process, a representative from each group applying must attend ONE of the four training workshops that will be held at local public library branches in mid to late August. Attendees are strongly encouraged to RSVP for the workshop chosen by emailing innovation@yndc.org. For specific information on the workshop dates and a project application, please visit the YNDC website at http://yndc.org/programs/lotsofgreen2.0 or contact YNDC via phone at 330.480.0423 or via email at innovation@yndc.org.

Who: The Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation (YNDC) is a multifaceted neighborhood development organization launched in February 2009 in partnership with the City of Youngstown and Raymond John Wean Foundation to catalyze strategic neighborhood reinvestment in neighborhoods throughout the City of Youngstown. For more information on the Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation please visit our website at: WWW.YNDC.ORG.