News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Prices At Our Youngstown Farmers' Markets

Started by jay, July 22, 2011, 05:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

A farmer is not selling the product of that seed as much as he is selling his work in planting, nurturing, harvesting and transporting those tomatoes.  In this case the origin of the seed is such a tiny part of the equation as to be insignificant. It is the "value added" that is being sold.

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on July 22, 2011, 09:13:45 PM
Although most vegetables are in containers for easy sale, I noticed that some farmers are willing to sell in smaller quantities.  Last year I saw a man buy one ear of corn and one tomato.
i bet he saved the seeds from that one tomato to produce a garden full of tomatoes to sell and undercut the farmer that sold him the one tomatoe that will caused havoc with the kind farmer that sold him his one tomato.

jay

Fresh Blueberries, $3.00 a pint
Cucumbers, 2 for $1.00
Zucchini, 2 for $1.00
Sweet Corn, $4.00 a dozen

jay

Although most vegetables are in containers for easy sale, I noticed that some farmers are willing to sell in smaller quantities.  Last year I saw a man buy one ear of corn and one tomato.

jay

During the next week,  I hope to compile a list of representative vegetable prices from our Youngstown Farmers' Markets.   In addition to supporting local farmers and keeping our food money in the local economy,  I suspect the vegetable prices will be competitive with the chain stores.