News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Community Gardens May Face Water Fees And Restrictions

Started by jay, July 20, 2011, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shar

That option is also not free.  I doubt all of those community gardens have a truck that could be equiped to do that.  Trucks cost money to purchase and keep filled with fuel. 

AllanY2525

Perhaps some water could be taken from bodies of water in the area?  Star Supply used to have plastic, 55 gallon drums (they were used
for cooking sherry, so are safe).  A few of these, a pickup truck and a 12 volt water pump (RV store on Rt. 422 sells them) would make a
great portable water system.

There is no lack of lakes and streams in Youngstown, from which water could be drawn for free.

Shar

We have rain barrels at Jubilee Gardens and they are empty.  My own rain barrels here at home are empty.  The other issue with rain barrels is that unless you have a roof and gutters to direct the water into the barrels, it is difficult to collect enough water to be of much use.  I don't think that any of the community gardens have enough "roof" to collect enough rain to keep the gardens watered.  A barrel that is 36 inches tall sitting out in the middle of the garden would need 36 inches of rain to fill it once. 

Towntalk

AllanY2525

Have any of these community gardens considered the possibility of gathering rainwater and storing
it for use in the garden plots?

Rainwater is, after all, free...

jay

Up to this point the City of Youngstown has been quite liberal with the water used by community gardens.  I guess most garden groups were allowed to use a special hookup to a fire hydrant to water garden crops.

Now the water department is concerned that too many community gardens are being formed in the city.  These are some of the proposals discussed at a recent City Council Utility Committee meeting.

A metered box should be installed at each garden at a cost to the group running the garden.

Fire hydrants were not designed for multiple openings and closings during the day by untrained operators.  The hydrants are subject to damage and the need for early replacement.

Council should assess the appropriate usage for a given garden size and bill for any water used in excess.

Council may, through other legislation, find a revenue source to fund water used by these gardens.

What should council do if a community garden becomes a for profit garden?

Council may consider a minimum acreage for a garden before a water tap is allowed.  There is concern that too many small gardens are popping up.