News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Plywood On Vacant Houses Question

Started by jay, July 15, 2011, 08:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

I do like the stained glass idea - however I live in a working class neighborhood and stained glass is not very common in this area.  The matter of perspective and background - at least to me - doesn't matter that much - as I see 'it' the idea is that someone CARES.   Someone went to the trouble to do that so it looks better than a plain board.   Someone sees that house and can see it from where they live and just may be keeping an eye on it.  Things are taken from homes when people leave for a few hours or even with people IN them.  There is nothing to take from the house next door so I would like to do the window "thing" just because it would look better than plain wood boards.   If you are ever in Lansingville or get a chance to go by the 1100 block of East Indinola you will see a small brick building at the North West Corner of East Indinola and Hunter - it was an old store - the front windows have two paintings done by the East High Student Art Club.  The front door is covered by East High's colors and Mascot and the two West windows are done with their art work also.  I admire it everytime I go by - they did an EXCELLENT Job.  I would almost hate to see the building come down - it has become a showcase for their art.   Lansingville high school students go to East so the paintings were done by students they know.  One of the paintings is of Sun Flowers and the other a Sail Boat with the shore and a Light House in the background - they give a restfull presence to a very troubled neighborhood - believe me.

Towntalk

On our street, neighbors do just that, but these kind of neighborhoods are few and far between these days.

I don't enjoy being a wet blanket on a rainy day, but most folks even in the best neighborhoods tend to not go and look after vacant lots in their neighborhood.

When's the last time a young lad offered to mow your yard or shovel your sidewalk in the winter?

Now admittedly I'm older than dirt so to speak, but at one time that was a given, not an exception.

jay

In a really safe neighborhood, no one would break into a vacant home and no one would vandalize the house by breaking its windows.

A few years ago I visited a neighborhood which had a house that was vacant for eight years.  The home's owner was in a nursing home.  Someone kept the grass cut, raked the leaves, and removed the mail.  Drapes were on the windows and the lights were on timers.  It was difficult to tell that the house was unoccupied.

Towntalk

Right as rain.

The examples that were presented were not only awful, but totally out of perspective, a sure signal to house strippers that the house is empty.

A black background in broad daylight ... a candle burning but never getting any smaller?

On the other hand, a "stained glass" view offers few clues provided the lawn is mowed and there's no trash in the yard.

northside lurker

After I posted, I realized that's probably what you meant.

So, despite your first reply, you think the concept is good?  You just take issue with what is actually painted?  I really like the idea of a stained glass theme.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

You completely missed the point I was making. By painting the plywood to look and the operative word is "look" like stain glass you make the window look attractive and not artificial.

northside lurker

There's the issue of the small price difference between the two.  And, stained glass doesn't provide quite the same level of protection as plywood.  ;D
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

An old friend of mine specializes in restoring stained glass windows, and also custom making same, and he starts by doing a life size water color drawing for his customers approval. Now if someone were to do that, then I'd shout out brovo at the top of my lungs.

Hows that for an idea?

jay

Here is another example of painted plywood.
Wouldn't it be interesting if the candle flame glowed in the dark.

kenneyjoe330

That MAY be true in the situation you describe Towntalk - HOWEVER - IF YOU had an abandoned house NEST to YOU - I think you may just change your mind.  I have a house about A FOOT from my property line that has vinyl siding and has three doors and five windows all boarded up.   IF the paint were pealing and the roof bad and the porch falling in the VERY LEAST it would look comical and bother or sister if I can't do something ABOUT my situation and laugh then PRAY tell me what I CAN DO.  I do plan on painting exactly as the picture shows - thanks Jay for the posting and if you have a better suggestion Towntalk I sure am willing to listen - THANKS ! ! !

northside lurker

While I think trompe l'oeil is going a little overboard, I have witnessed--firsthand--how painted plywood makes it less obvious that a house is boarded up. (making a better first impression)  I was giving my mom a tour around Wick Park, and she commented on how beautiful the Covington House is.  Only after looking again, did she realize that it was boarded up.

Here is a picture I took last December:
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Lipstick on a pig does no a pig make beautiful.

If the house is run down, paint pealing, the porch and roof caving in, a painted sheet of plywood isn't going to help.

jay

If you have a vacant house in your neighborhood, would you prefer raw plywood covering the windows or would you prefer artistically painted plywood?

An example of painted plywood