News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Fountain Street - Should It Be Abandoned?

Started by jay, May 01, 2008, 05:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

WOW - EXACTLY AllanY - I could NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE ! ! !

Is there anyone OR could anyone TIP those in POSITIONS in YOUNGSTOWN 2010 and/or Youngstown City Planning to Post on this Forum concerning this type of problem  WE are facing on Foutain Street. 

While we are discussing this subject - I would like to know what 2010 and City Planning think of Lean Forward Ohio and empty lots in the City of Youngstown??? 

S'BOHUM - ken

AllanY2525

I would love to see the city double the size of a home lot, now that there is so VERY
much free land becoming available.  By balancing out lot sized and spacing between
remaining homes more evenly, the neighborhoods won't LOOK like they've been
downsized. 

jay

Isn't living on acreage in a natural setting one of the reasons why some people move to the countryside?   Aren't circumstances now creating a country-like setting in the city?

AllanY2525

I feel that ANY street which only has ONE house remaining on it could easily be
de-paved, disconnected from the public utilities grid and then be removed entirely.

I also tend to agree with those here who have said that neighborhoods where
there is still a decent population density should be rehabbed, whereas empty
areas of the city should be cleaned out - to the ground.

There's nothing wrong with having some space between neighborhoods -
the city now has empty land in abundance - it's what the city chooses to
DO with all this land that is important.

northside lurker

The Garden District neighborhood (just as an example I'm familiar with--I'm sure there are many others) is still very dense, and intact.  But, there are quite a few vacant properties.  It seems to me that existing neighborhoods should be repopulated before new housing is constructed.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Questions

Should Fountain Street be abandoned even though it is located near the center of the city?

Should only the sparsely populated streets in the outlying parts of the city be abandoned?

Should efforts be made to repopulate streets such as Fountain which are close to the center of the city?  This practice would make the city smaller but denser.

jay

Fountain Street is located off lower South Avenue near the East River Crossing entrance ramp.  The area has become a dumping ground for trash.  Only one occupied house remains on the street. (see the photo below)