News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Garage Demolitions - Saturday, April 20

Started by jay, April 17, 2013, 05:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

iwasthere

i would had help but i was in cle for a summer job interview.

northside lurker

Glad to hear there was such a good turnout.

I would like to have helped, too.  But all of my participation in any Saturday activities is on hold until the project house is further along.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

About 30 people (mostly young) came out today to help demolish the garages.

Thanks to all who helped.

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on April 18, 2013, 08:05:01 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...  Everything is hazardous says the perpetual worriers.   

The line between hazardous and safe has to be drawn somewhere.  Even if this line were moved to where you think it should be, I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would still say "Yeah, yeah, yeah...  Everything is hazardous says the perpetual worriers."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Yeah, yeah, yeah...  Everything is hazardous says the perpetual worriers.   

Towntalk

I don't know if this applies, but any fireman will tell you that it's not save to use wood from structures as kindling because of the toxic substances in the wood. Certainly good lumber can and is recycled safely, but we're talking about wood from old garages that most likely have several coats of lead paint on them aswell as other contaminates natural to garages as opposed to homes.

northside lurker

I should be more clear, I'm talking about structures that have been burned.  Because it's not safe to test--and abate--any hazardous materials from these structures, the whole mess has to be treated as hazardous waste.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on April 17, 2013, 04:46:02 PM
Fire debris is hazardous waste?  What buffoonery!  Y'all need to get out of the city and move somewhere that isn't saturated with insanity.

The city doesn't have anything to do with it.  It's the landfills, and what they are willing to take, AFAIK.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Fire debris is hazardous waste?  What buffoonery!  Y'all need to get out of the city and move somewhere that isn't saturated with insanity.

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on April 17, 2013, 09:45:20 AM
So who is in charge of this? What qualifications does one need to volunteer? What types of tools and machinery are used? How do they determine what is to be demolished? What happens to the materials afterward?

How about fire, it's quick and efficient and leaves little behind to dispose of.

What if someone gets injured?

Good questions.  A few of them are answered at the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/410221749076573/?ref=3

In this case, fire might have been OK; I'm not sure if they want to salvage any materials, or not.  But generally, fire is bad, because everything remaining has to be disposed of as if it were hazardous waste, (i.e. as if it were an asbestos containing material) and that's more expensive.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

So who is in charge of this? What qualifications does one need to volunteer? What types of tools and machinery are used? How do they determine what is to be demolished? What happens to the materials afterward?

How about fire, it's quick and efficient and leaves little behind to dispose of.

What if someone gets injured?

northside lurker

Volunteers are meeting at the Youngstown Playhouse.  From there, they will go and demolish a few blighted garage structures nearby.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

jay

Stand Up, Fight Blight
Volunteer Garage Demolitions

Saturday, April 20, 8:30 a.m.

- Starting Location -
Youngstown Playhouse
Playhouse Lane
Youngstown, Ohio