News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Teens And Community Service

Started by jay, January 08, 2010, 06:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary

I think the city uses a four-wheeler with a small blade on the front and a salt spreader. However they only seem to do certain sidewalks. The sidewalks in front of AMPCO parking lots are never done in my experience. The ones in front of the county courthouse are always done

AllanY2525

What about using people from C.C.A. to clear sidewalks of snow and
ice?  They're already taking care of all those empty lots on Market Street
as it is...

As far as community service is concerned, I've always thought it would be a
really cool idea to setup a public web site where people could sign up for
community service and be matched up with people who are in need, ie:
the sick, the elderly, even entities like the parks department, etc.

The courts could make make minor offenders sign up as a part of their
sentence and/or for restitution for their bad deeds - maybe things like
vandalism, etc.

:)

Elmo-Ytown

As for city owned sidewalks in the downtown area specifically, how are they cleared? Do they have one of those golf cart sized vehicles with the giant brush? They could hire all the homeless people to shovel, this way they have something to do other than harass me for money.

Elmo-Ytown

I think city ordinance requires property owners to clean the sidewalks in front of their property. In my opinion, all business's should be fined if their sidewalks are not cleared within a certain time period.

Shovel your sidewalks, and if you have a neighbor who is not home, or is elderly, sick, disabled, whatever..... shovel their sidewalks too! You could even be a really nice neighbor and clean their car off for them! (I recommend asking first) I personally take pride in having the cleanest, neatest sidewalks in the neighborhood, winter and summer alike.

If you've got lazy kids, overweight kids, or any kids for that matter, give them a shovel, they can make a fortune on a snowy weekend.

Penguins37

Nice positive comment there Why, heaven forbid people take responsibility for their own neighborhoods.

Why?Town

Even though the street dept. would never even think to clean the sidewalks, I wouldn't be surprised if their union complained about that happening.

jay

Due to the snow, the Youngstown Schools are closed for today.  I wish our teen population would spend part of the day shoveling the public sidewalks in our neighborhoods.