News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS PAST

Started by JoyceFarrell, December 06, 2016, 06:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyceFarrell

Who remembers the 5 & 10's? Grant's, Woolworth, Kress, McCroy's, and Murphy's? As a youth, I'd save up my change until I had a couple of dollars, then I'd go shopping. Nothing big mind you except for a bag of Kress's potato chips. Golly they were good, and the sales lady would see to it that there were extra chips in the bag. Oh those were happy days, special days. Few remember how it was walking down Federal Street around this time of year. On one corner there was a Santa collecting for the Volunteers of America; on another a Salvation Army Lass ringing her bell, and above the doorways of many of the stores a speaker sending carols out for all to enjoy, as they looked into the store windows. Each year the Chamber of Commerce had a contest for which store had the best window displays, and each year Strouss would be the winner. As one walked into the department stores you knew it was Christmas time as you breathed in the smells of expensive perfumes, and heard the music of the season. Tired after my tour downtown, and armed with many small packages and my bag of potato chips I felt special, and in so many ways I was. It was Christmas time in the city, and everyone was special. And as I boarded the bus to come home, I would greet the driver with a Merry Christmas, for I knew all the men who drove on our route - 11 Logan - 6 Ford, and after depositing my fare, I would offer him some of my potato chips, then take my seat. Now, at 77, all I have are memories, and Christmas no longer has the charm that it had in my childhood, but on that night of nights, I will go to my library, select some radio programs from my youth, fix a mug of hot chocolate, open the box of Christmas cookies from Giant Eagle, turn down the lights, turn off the TV and transport myself back to my childhood. Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday Jesus.