News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Vallourec ..... a $2M subsidy

Started by BG, March 01, 2016, 01:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

So it's contaminated ground? What difference does it make if it just sits there or something is stored on it?

AllanY2525

I'm wondering how much "remediation" would actually have to be done if the property is just going
to be paved over (?)

Rick Rowlands

Actually, I am generally opposed to Federal govt. spending money on non enumerated areas, but when it comes to states I do not really care as much.  The federal govt. should have a very limited and defined role, with the states having broader powers. Since states have to balance their budgets, it is harder for them to go on a runaway spending binge like the feds can. 

I drove by the property in question today.  This portion that is "contaminated" is just a gravel field with concrete blocks placed on its perimeter to keep Vallourec from storing pipe on that ground.  It certainly does not look menacing.  It has been so called contaminated for decades, and we all are very much still alive.  I have to wonder if we are becoming too overzealous with this idea of environmental contamination and cleanup. 

iwasthere

Rr aren't you against using any monies from local, state and federal government monies?

Rick Rowlands

They are not making any profits right now.  Vallourec didn't make this mess.  This was the former Dempsey Steel property, a plant that was located east of the Erie Railroad mainline.  It had been abandoned for decades, and a deal was made whereas the City would buy the land, clean it up and sell it to Vallourec.  Vallourec benefits from having land for parking and pipe storage and the city benefits from eliminating a long standing eyesore. 

The state has programs just for cleaning up such properties.

iwasthere

let vallourec clean this mess up themselves from the profits they are making from the gas and oil companies through its fracking endeavor .

BG

The city is seeking $2,000,000 to clean up some property owned by Vallourec.

:P