News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Nuts - The New Health Food

Started by jay, November 21, 2013, 05:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

CRICKETS + NUTS + WATER + RAW VEGETABLES = LONG AND HAPPY LIFE. IT WILL ALSO BE EASIER ON THE WALLET.

Towntalk

Great nuts. Back home, my Grandmother always kept a good supply of them in the house for us to snack on, and always said that they were better for me than candy.

jay

I purchased some Hazelnuts at the Cornersburg Sparkle Market today.
I also have some Black Walnuts that I purchased at the Farmers' Market.

Towntalk

Several epidemiological studies have revealed that people who consume nuts regularly are less likely to suffer from coronary heart disease (CHD).[5] Nuts were first linked to protection against CHD in 1993.[6] Since then many clinical trials have found that consumption of various nuts such as almonds and walnuts can lower serum LDL cholesterol concentrations. Although nuts contain various substances thought to possess cardioprotective effects, scientists believe that their Omega 3 fatty acid profile is at least in part responsible for the hypolipidemic response observed in clinical trials.[7]
In addition to possessing cardioprotective effects, nuts generally have a very low glycemic index (GI).[8] Consequently, dietitians frequently recommend nuts be included in diets prescribed for patients with insulin resistance problems such as diabetes mellitus type 2.[9]
One study found that people who eat nuts live two to three years longer than those who do not.[10] However, this may be because people who eat nuts tend to eat less junk food.[11]
Nuts contain the essential fatty acids linoleic and linolenic acids, and the fats in nuts for the most part are unsaturated fats, including monounsaturated fats.
Many nuts are good sources of vitamins E and B2, and are rich in protein, folate, fiber, and essential minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and selenium.[12]
Nuts are most healthy in their raw form.[13] The reason is that up to 15% of the healthy oils that naturally occur in nuts are lost during the roasting process.
Raw or unroasted walnuts were found to have twice as many antioxidants as other nuts.[13] Although initial studies suggested that antioxidants might promote health, later large clinical trials did not detect any benefit and suggested instead that excess supplementation of antioxidant supplements is harmful.[14][15]

As to being "a new health food", that's a crock. Their benificial properties have been known for more years than my life span on God's green earth.

jay

A story on the TV today claims that eating nuts has many positive effects on your health.