News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Problems For The Youngstown Playhouse

Started by jay, November 09, 2008, 10:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

I have a call in to the Playhouse, but I'm not sure if anyone is there to check messages or answer phones.  I would like to help them raise money the same way I described in my other post about the Rescue Mission.

I'm hoping I will get a call soon.  I tried to email them, but when I went to their website, there were no links available to email anyone there.  All the info on the site was gone and it just said "Under Construction".

Leah

This makes me really sad.  I grew up at the Playhouse.  I performed in many community theater productions over a period of more than 10 years.  It was a wonderful way to spend my teen years.  It really shaped who I am and taught me so many valuable skills that I still use to this day.

I never fit in at school and didn't have many friends.  The Playhouse gave me a place where I was liked and fit in and could be proud of who I was.  If I didn't have this in my life at that age, who knows what kind of trouble I would have gotten myself into.

The Playhouse has been putting on very quality shows in the past few years, especially the musicals.  They have a great talent pool and are finally doing some interesting shows, rather than sticking to the "moldy oldies" only.

I agree that the location is poor, but for whatever reason, they chose to stay there and make improvements to the building.  Probably for it's historic value.  I respect that and am sorry that it's not working out for them.

jay

The Victorian Players theater is not operating during the cold winter months this season.  No performances are scheduled for November, December, January or February.

Towntalk

You must also factor in the electric bill. It must be huge. The stage lighting alone does havoc to the electric bill, and when you factor in all the other electric usage, including air conditioning you're talking big money.

Couple that with their prop department shop and the outdoor lighting.

Then figure in security.

It would be interesting to see just how much they spend on all these items.

Could they save money by only operating in the summer?

The building would still have to be heated in the winter. You can't leave the building without heat during the closed period. The same holds true for electric usage.

jay

Did the Playhouse ever consider operating only in the spring, summer, and fall?  Other local theatrical groups don't operate at all in the summer.

Question
Does it cost more to heat a building in the winter or cool a building in the summer?

Towntalk

Has the time come for the Youngstown Playhouse to partner with DeYor and perform there?

Lets face it, the Playhouse has gone through more problems than I can remember that threatened them, and again face it, their present location is not the best.

By partnering with DeYor, they would have a better chance for drawing larger audiences with all the advantages that downtown Youngstown offers, and it would also eliminate some of the major expenses that go with having their own theater.

Where for example can folks stop for a before or after the theater meal at their present location?

Sure, the Playhouse is an asset for the south side, but what good would that be if they are forced to close because of financial problems.

Before potential deep pockets are willing to help finance it, the Playhouse must draw audiences in larger numbers, and from what I've heard, they are not drawing the numbers that they need.

Imagine the expenses they are carrying on utilities, insurance, and building maintenance, and add to that the wages paid to their full time employees. They must be huge.

jay

A story about the Youngstown Playhouse was in today's newspaper.  Due to financial and other problems, the Playhouse will be closed for the winter months.

The Playhouse is an asset to the south side of Youngstown.  Are any of the south side organizations and block watches helping to save the Youngstown Playhouse?