News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Buckeye Bus Route - Some Service To Be Restored

Started by jay, August 29, 2008, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

In my humble opinion I think that "those people" who are "on the board" or "in the know" MUST confront those civic leaders in the county who are "opposed" to the sales tax.  It is through those leaders that the issues concerning 'money' and 'service' can be addressed.  I personally know how important a County Transportation System will be to help people.  It is thought "elected" community leaders that the word can be spread to those who vote! ! !   Most people who are voted into office have a connection - be it far - for those for whom they have voted.  No matter how LARGE a community is - word spreads FAST.  Those who vote will vote on their pocket book.  The Citizens of Mahoning County I will attest to to be extremely informative and generous but the MUST BE INFORMED of exactly WHAT WRTA will do for either them or their neighbors.

Towntalk

Ordinairly I detest endless studies, but here is one that I could fully support. It could give WRTA a better idea on where future routes should be.

If WRTA doesn't have wide spread public input, but simply relies on just those who attend open meetings, they miss the better part of the region.

An ad in the Vindicator that is a survey that could be mailed in would be a good starting point.

AllanY2525

I think that Mayor Jay WIlliams should take this idea up as a "cause" on behalf of
the WRTA.  He could write about it in his "blog".

The Youngstown 2010 Plan has already divided the city up into about 128(?) neighborhoods,
and given many of them names, to-date.  Survey activities could be done on an area by area
basis, following the 128(?) neighborhoods carved out via the 2010 Plan program - with public
announcements made WELL IN ADVANCE, in order to "get out the vote".

northside lurker

I think that's a great idea--especially since they are trying to pass a countywide sales tax this fall.  It would help people to become aware of what is available.  And, as you said, it would give them a voice in how the system is shaped, making them more likely to vote if favor of the sales tax.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

Well, I've said it before (more than once) but I'll say it again:

WRTA needs to do an AREA-WIDE SURVEY, to determine WHERE the buses are needed
the MOST, during WHAT TIME(s) of day,  and where the ridership would be the best. 

With its limited resources, WRTA should be doing everything in its power to ensure that it is
making the most of what little it DOES have.

WRTA could get some students (ie: YSU), employees, etc to volunteer to man "polling places"
throughout the city/suburbs, in schools, churches and other public venues (such as libraries,
community centers, central square, etc) with notebook PCs - for the purpose of carrying out such
survey activities.  The survey volunteers could e-mail the results back to WRTA for compiling
and analysis.

Who knows, maybe they could even get the local television and radio stations and newpapers
to "get the word out" to encourage everyone to have their voices heard (?) prior to the actual
survey(s) taking place (?)

I think it would go a long way towards getting people who do not currently use the bus system to
consider the possibility of using it to cut their travel expenses - especially given the cost of fuel
these days.

With a comprehensive set of data gathered by such a survey program, the WRTA could make
changes to their existing routes and schedules that would actually make SENSE to the general
public - because the citizens of Youngstown and the outlying suburbs would actually have a
voice in the whole process.

Anyways, I'll get down off of my soap box again.....

:)

jay

Thanks to the appeal by members of the Lansingville Block Watch and the Seventh Ward Citizens' Coalition, some service on the WRTA Buckeye bus route will be restored starting the second week of September.  Watch for the new schedule.

Below is a WRTA logo.