News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

South Side Restaurant?

Started by Mary, January 22, 2007, 10:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary_Krupa

I live in the neighborhood and had been to Jolly Joe's numerous times. We often had 7th Ward Citizens Coalition meetings, there. Also, various fundraisers.

At the January 7WCC meeting, I sat in front of some city officials and they were talking about how trashed out the interior was. I was disappointed but definitely not surprised to hear that.

To me, the interior was okay but nothing special. The food could be good. Youngstown people tend to overpraise restaurants that are only adequate. Maybe they don't travel enough.

The previous owner was very good to the surrounding community but I also wasn't surprised to hear that the restaurant closed.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

jay

Mary,
Did you find out any information about Jolly Joe's? 

Mary

Thank you Jay.
I am going to go down to the courthouse tomorrow to look up the documents regarding the foreclosure.

jay

Last summer this forum contained a short discussion about the closing of Jolly Joe's.  Here is the link to those messages.
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=1426.0

Micky

We applaud your enthusiasm for thinking of opening a restaurant at the old Jolly Joe's.

We went past there in mid-November and the windows were fine.  Lots of high weeds though.  We used to go there for dinner - the atmosphere and food were wonderful.  Prices weren't bad either.  The neighborhood has been slipping but people would still go there because it's not too far off the main roads.  As things go, you might think about employing an off-duty police officer.  Even though that costs more money than a security firm, it would be beneficial to you and make the patrons feel safer.

We wish you well if you decide to take this further and would gladly patronize your establishment!

Mary

At this point we are just in the research phase of cost so it would be way to early to say for sure what kind of a menu but i have several ideas.  Advertising would be a main issue, along with safety of course. I know of people that came from Warren to eat there because they enjoyed the food. I was by the building today and noticed windows were broken out and wonder what that means for the inside.. I am going to see if i can find out more about how much they would want for it is still with it and if the liquor license is still available. I would really like to see the inside also before really getting head long in the the research. Does any one know how long ago those windows were broken?

jay

I've dined in that restaurant a few times and even went to a few parties there.  It was a reasonably nice place.

I see three problems.  The first is it isn't on a main road (but neither is the MVR).  Secondly, the location is not exactly in an upscale neighborhood.  Thirdly, many potential customers from the suburbs will not come there because it is within the city limits (the city phobia, I guess).

If you were able to offer great food at reasonable prices and did a lot of advertising, you just might make a go of it.

What type of food would the restaurant feature? 

Mary

I am doing a little research on the feasibility of having a restaurant in the former jolly Joe's. What do you guys think of it? As i understand from sources in the community, it the issue was not business but lack of management