News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ted Strickland has already started cutting funding to higher education.

Started by irishbobcat, September 29, 2010, 07:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Ted Strickland has already started cutting funding to higher education.

To keep the current budget balanced, Ohio plans to give state colleges and universities 11 monthly payments instead of 12 in fiscal year 2011, which ends June 30. That means June's scheduled payment would be bumped into July.

But if the state can afford to make only 11 payments this year, some question how the state will afford 13 payments in 2012 when state leaders must balance the next two-year state budget without $8 billion in one-time state and federal funds.

The chances are slim to none, some lawmakers say.

Even without pushing that payment ahead, it was going to be "very difficult" for universities to avoid a funding cut in the next budget, said Sen. John A. Carey Jr., R-Wellston, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee.

"It's a cut. There is no other way to put it," he said of the delayed payment. "The next budget is going to be even more difficult. To say they're going to float it until next budget is like saying 'I got a bridge I want to sell you.'"

A General Assembly cannot force the next one to spend money. So although officials can promise that universities will get their money, just 21 days late, the legislature is not required to follow through.

Thus, Ted Strickland has already started to show how he will handle the budget crisis if re-elected.....he will cut, cut, cut.

We need a governor who will raise revenues. We don't have a spending problem with the state budget, but a revenue generating problem.

I am the only candidate for governor who understands that.

Dennis Spisak-Green Party of Ohio nominee for Ohio Governor

www.votespisak.org/governor/

www.votespisak.org/

for more info, contact 330-503-1407