News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Steel Heritage's Second Locomotive

Started by Rick Rowlands, September 07, 2010, 11:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

This engine is two years newer, but spent its life outside of the steel industry.  The red 70 tonner however, was always inside steel plants, and steel mills are notorious for destroying equipment.   I don't think the 80 tonner will ever be moved to the Heritage Park.  It will stay at McDonald for a while and may eventually go to a shortline or tourist railroad where it can be used. 

AllanY2525

Rick,

You are truly amazing dude - your dedication is remarkable.

It looks like this engine is in better overall shape than the one you showed me on my visit to
the heritage park last trip to Ohio  - is this the case, or is this engine just better looking
cosmetically?  Since this one is up and running - have you thought about using it to generate
power for the museum versus the other locomotive that you already have on-site?

I'll echo Ron's sentiments and tease you a little (in humor) - you really should use your
"mad genius" to start your own small-scale steel industry...

hehehe

:)

Towntalk

Great job Rick. Something tells me that before you put the last piece of the puzzle in, you will have created a destination stop for tourists.

Youngstownshrimp

Rick, I think you are a mad genius and your hidden agenda is to create an industrialist empire.  Let me see, you have the capability of making steel and now you have the trains to transport the product to market.  Do I see the rise of "Rick's Heavy Industry" and the Resurrection of steel in the Valley?

You know I am being funny right?

Rick Rowlands

I would like to introduce you all to our newest acquisition.  This locomotive is known as an "80 Tonner", built by General Electric in Erie, PA in 1944. It is currently at McDonald Steel, and we pan to put it into operational condition.  This engine worked at the Standard Slag Lordstown, OH operation before coming to Penn-Ohio Logistics in McDonald.  Before its time at Standard Slag it was used to haul construction materials for the Kinzua Dam project in the 1960s.

We have a little bit of track on which to run this locomotive, so if you would like the opportunity to pull out the throttle and operate a railroad locomotive we may be able to make that happen!