News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

WRTA Discount Coupons

Started by jay, August 27, 2010, 08:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The Western Reserve Transit Authority also has discount coupons in the new User-Friendly Telephone Book.

Buy 10 adult ride tickets and get 5 FREE

Buy 10 senior ride tickets and get 5 FREE

Buy 10 student ride tickets and get 5 FREE

jay

If you are a student and you take advantage of these coupons, your cost per trip is less than 50 cents.

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on August 28, 2010, 05:21:01 PM
The problem with your argument is that you and 19 other riders are NOT paying the entire cost of the fuel nor the taxes involved. The only way to make that claim is to stop using tax money to keep the busses rolling.

I pay federal and state taxes just like you, so I think my example is still valid.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

The problem with your argument is that you and 19 other riders are NOT paying the entire cost of the fuel nor the taxes involved. The only way to make that claim is to stop using tax money to keep the busses rolling.

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on August 28, 2010, 11:15:52 AM
The roads and highways are subsidized for all vehicles INCLUDING the busses so that's a wash.

After the road subsidies, vehicle owners pay 100% of alll costs associated with their method of travel.

After road subsidies, what % do bus riders pay? Certainly nowhere near 100%

Who pays the rest? The people that already pay 100% of their own costs.

So, when the taxes on fuel are raised to cover the entire cost of highways and roads, and transit users are paying the actual cost to ride the bus, we'll be paying fuel taxes on the thousands of gallons of fuel the buses use each year.

The way I see it, transit users are paying more than their share of road taxes.  When you drive over the Mahoning Ave. bridge in your car, for example, you paid the same amount of non-fuel taxes to do so as me and the 20 people I'm riding the bus with.  So we, the riders of that single bus, just paid 20x the amount you did to cross the same bridge.  I don't consider this unfair because mass transit is subsidized.  But, I get a little annoyed when I'm held to a double standard - when people feel mass transit should not be subsidized, but it's OK for automobile drivers.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

The roads and highways are subsidized for all vehicles INCLUDING the busses so that's a wash.

After the road subsidies, vehicle owners pay 100% of alll costs associated with their method of travel.

After road subsidies, what % do bus riders pay? Certainly nowhere near 100%

Who pays the rest? The people that already pay 100% of their own costs.

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on August 28, 2010, 10:27:22 AM
So cut the taxes COMPLETELY. Let the riders pay for their ride.

Sure, when the roads and highways aren't subsidized, too.

edited to add: I suspect the cost of gasoline would go up more than .25 cents per dollar for the gas tax to completely pay for roads and highways.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

So cut the taxes COMPLETELY. Let the riders pay for their ride.

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on August 27, 2010, 09:43:15 PM
I don't ride the bus and would like to save money too. How about they cut the taxes that fund those damn busses?

They can't.  By law, there can't be a sales tax less than $0.0025 per dollar.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

I don't ride the bus and would like to save money too. How about they cut the taxes that fund those damn busses?

jay

If you ride the bus, this is another way to save some money in this difficult economy.

jay

The Western Reserve Transit Authority has an ad in the current issue of the JB Dollar Stretcher Magazine.  The ad contains several discount coupons for WRTA transit fares.

Buy 10 adult ride tickets and get 5 FREE

Buy 10 senior ride tickets and get 5 FREE

Buy 10 student ride tickets and get 5 FREE