News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ridge Avenue

Started by jay, December 17, 2009, 07:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

i did a research paper on st pat's church for a college course. the paper scratch the surface on the social activism that st pat's church was/is involved in social changes in ytown.

Towntalk

Its a crime what has happened to St. Pat's.

Members of my family were members of that church from the day the original St. Pat's was established.

There were a number of churches on the South Side that were abandoned and were left to vandals to destroy. It would be a crime if that same fate happened to St. Pat's.

It wasn't just another church, it was the Pro-Cathedral for the Diocese.

A Pro-cathedral is a parish church that is temporarily serving as the cathedral or co-cathedral of a diocese.

iwasthere

st pat's on the southside had a renovation project that included stainglass, pew and floor repairs that amounted $100,000, a hefty project for a struggling inner city church. it will be money down the drain if bishop murray closes st pat's church. :'(

Towntalk

If I'm not mistaken, the windows you referred to were intact.

Don't mistake my comment, I don't object to them staying with the building.

One of the main panels (center window) is gone, and would be impossable to replace in order to match the theme of the window.

As to the bottom panels that are gone, since they are simply stained glass minus art work, they could be replaced easier.

The windows are about 100 years old and need to be looked over by experts anyway and where needed re-leaded in order to preserve them.

iwasthere

a local artist bought the former Presbyterian church in lowellville as his resident/gallery. he was given the nod by the church's elders to buy the church because he kept the stainglass windows intact instead of selling them for a handsome profit. the artist has kept his promise and the church is the focal point of lowellville's preservation history not like ytown.  :)

Towntalk

Hopefully the new owner of the church will bring in someone with experoence working with stain glass windows to carefully remove them and make them available to another church.

I've attended services in that church when it was Bethel Church of God In Christ with friends and those windows are really nice.

Windows like that are extremely expensive and given their age it would be extremely expensive to replace the missing panels even if there were good photos to work from.

If the new owner is going to use the building for anything other than a church it would be to their advantage to have them removed before there is further damage. There are companies that do this kind of work that I'm sure would pay a good price for the remaining panels.

When a couple of panels in our church windows were broken the church paid thousands of dollars to have them replaced.

jay

Photo taken on Ridge