News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

South At East Boston

Started by jay, December 02, 2009, 10:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Arrest Made in South Side Gunfire Incident
Story form the WKBN TV27 Web Site on 12/02/2009.

Just before 8 a.m. Wednesday, gunfire erupted in a South Side neighborhood. Several East Boston Avenue residents immediately called 911.

Police said Shawn Green allegedly shot several rounds outside of his home, prompting the lockdown of nearby Taft Elementary and an hours-long standoff with police.

No one was injured, but one of the several shots did hit a neighbor's house near the back bedroom.

"I told my friend Mike, I said Mike it sounds like it went through the house and he jumped up to make sure everything was OK," said Phyllis Galbreath. "And he went in my daughters room."

Galbreath said her daughter was already on her way to school when the shots hit her house, and, fortunately, no one was injured.

Police believe the shooter fired several rounds then went back into this home. So the Mahoning Valley Violent Crimes Task Force set up a perimeter and entered the house.

"We thought it was an apartment, but the apartment there's common access for both tenants," said detective Sgt. John Elberty. "So it opened up into one big place. We had four floors to clear."

Officers eventually found Green in an upstairs bedroom and arrested him.

"The evidence was all collected," said Elberty. "There was some marijuana found, several bags, drug paraphernalia was laying out in the different rooms."

Officials at Taft Elementary School, which is just down the street from the gunfire, put the school on lock-down as a precautionary measure.

Officers continue to investigate if anyone else was involved in the incident.

yfdgricker

I went past there on my way to work. YPD had a bunch of cars up and down the street and there were cops surrounding the house. It was the first one behind Fire Station #14. Not sure what was going on but it was probably a barricaded subject in the house.

jay

A caller to a local talk show this morning said there are many police cars at the corner of South Avenue and East Boston.  Someone else claimed shots were fired near that corner.

Have any Forum members traveled that way this morning?  What's going on there?