News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Promoting Suburban Shopping

Started by jay, November 27, 2009, 08:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

ytownshrimp did you go across the street and patronized the ysu art students wares at the McDonough Museum.

Youngstownshrimp

A week ago my wife and I attended the Butler Holiday open house as we did last year.  The event is a very joyous display of local venders and artists, we enjoy it every year and are happy to support it.  You can imagine our surprise when we happened on a displayed painting of our historic building, 1850 (The Village Pantry) in Poland Village.  We were further floored when the painter showed us names of a few of our customers who offered to buy the painting.  Although times are hard economically, we did happily buy the painting.

Yesterday was The Village Pantry's annual open house and we proudly displayed the oil painting.  The turnout was great and the local painter had all the attention.  A Poland Village  councilwoman mentioned that after her visit she and her friend were on their way downtown to attend Bob Barko's open house.  This is an example of Mahoning Valley residents helping each other.

stewie

Quote from: Penguins37 on December 08, 2009, 08:01:33 PM
What are some good Youngstown shopping location suggestions?

I got a really cool fedora hat at Silvers.  Great price too!!

Penguins37

iwasthere

i started to shop for xmas on christmas eve since i was a mere yg lad in ytown's downtown thirty years latter the xmas tradition continues as of today. the stores ytown's downtown are the same ones that you find in the subs.

cc4

I am one who does not enjoy the crowds that flock to the mall areas during this time of year so I try to do as much shopping as I can at other stores in the area.  I'm not really sure what you're looking for specifically, but here are a few suggestions that you might find helpful.

When downtown, I frequently stop at Jerry Lee's Jewelers in 20 Federal Place, starting first at the 50% off table and then looking around the other display areas.  They also carry domestic soy candles which are sometimes offered at 20% off.  My family also enjoys gift certificates to many of the downtown eateries; their current favorites include Cafe Cimmento, Tomasino's Pizza, the Lemon Grove, and any of the places at the food court in 20 Federal Place.  I have also purchased memberships at the YMCA over the years.

In the Cornersburg area, I frequent the plaza where the post office is located.  There is a great Italian specialty deli and two card stores, one of which will do any type of basket you might like.  Across the street is JMJ Connections if you are looking for something that is religiously oriented.
The Lemon Tree inside the Sparkle Market is also a good destination if you're looking for flowers and more.

Fortunately for me, my family and friends enjoy receiving presents that include food and restaurants gift certificates along with the occasional knickknack.

It's too late for this Christmas season, but I found some good presents at the Mahoning Commons Artists' sale held recently at the old Ward Baking Company on Mahoning Avenue. 

Penguins37

What are some good Youngstown shopping location suggestions?

iwasthere

as ytowner i do 75% of shopping in ytown. the ytown business owners should pull their advertising monies together, they can have live WKBN broadcasts remotes at various ytown business's locations. WKBN will do charity remotes for non profits but not for businesses for profit.

Towntalk

Jay:

I agree with you that Youngstown businesses must do more to promote local businesses but the name of the game is revenue ... the media whether it is radio, television or newspapers generate their revenue from advertising and the Malls pay for the stations to do remotes from their locations and they pay a hefty sum.

The fact of the matter is that the businesses in Youngstown need to become organized into a local association (a dues paying one) so that they can do media promotionals.

Don't fault the stations, fault the businesses, after all you don't pay one thin dime for the support of the radio stations and as for the TV stations your cable bill nowhere covers the cost of the station's operation.

Thank God we don't have the sort of system they have in England where every household pays a fee to the government for the privilege of having a TV in their home for the support of the BBC.

By the way Jay WKBN Radio has done a number of remotes from the Butler Institute of American Art, and Clear Channel stations have done downtown remotes during a number of events.

jay

Today I noticed that several of our Youngstown based media are doing remotes from suburban shopping locations.  The morning WFMJ Today Show was at the Eastwood Mall.  The WASN morning radio show, which is located in 20 Federal Place, is doing their remote from the Southern Park Mall.  Youngstown merchants should do more to encourage citizens to shop in Youngstown.