News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

YWCA

Started by Towntalk, August 21, 2009, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Here is the history of Urusline that may clear up any confusion.

Ursuline High School History

http://www.ursuline.com/alumni/history.htm

Towntalk

The front entrance could fool you since they are similar, but then looking over pictures of other local buildings they seem to follow the same pattern.

kenneyjoe330

YEAH - I am glad you cleared that up - Thank You - Thank You - ugh Thank You Very Much  8)  Now at least that little corner of my brain where photos are stored feels Much Better Now. ;D

Towntalk

Bingo: I found it.

Towntalk

The two photos were as labled Kenny. I looked through my library and couldn't find a picture of the YWCA, but some time ago one of my computers crashed big time and I lost hundreds of pictures and I know that a YWCA picture was there.

kenneyjoe330

SORRY please forgive me but upon looking further at the picture it says "Ursuline Convent"  under it  ???  Yet the Main Entrance looks much like the Main Entrance to today's YWCA - the wall and the other door way on the side confuse me because I can't remember what the side of the YWCA looks like now and certainly don't remember what the Convent looked like at all  :laugh:  Your not trying to confuse me are you  :o  The FIRST picture is the YWCA correct?

kenneyjoe330

Thank You so much  :-*  I just love pictures ! ! !   It was the YWCA that I had in my little photo mind and that  I THOUGHT it was the Ursuline Convent (didn' know it was an Academy too!).  :)  That is the exact picture too and I don't hve anywhere CLOSE to a photographic memory  ;D

Towntalk

Photo

Both St. Columba School and the Ursuline Convent/Academy.

Towntalk

Photo

kenneyjoe330

:o WOW that was FAST ! ! !
NOW you know questions and comments pop up.  I keep it brief to just a few comments.  I noticed the "Welsh Cong'l Church" on Elm and know it is still there and is the OLDEST Church structure around.  I also noticed Plymouth Cong'l Church - is that still there ?  I can't wait to see the pictures.  THANKS ! ! !

Towntalk

Map

kenneyjoe330

Thank You for the information.  I am eager to see your pictures - I love pictures probably as much as Jay does  ;D .  I have the memory of an old picture of the Ursuline Mother House in my little "picture reference" mind - it was quite a while back.  Single woman and YWCA and nuns and being a child and being on the same side of the street a block or so away and knowing me how easy is that for getting something confused  ::) ?  Thanks Again and I should get it straight this time  ;)

Towntalk

That should have been the Southwest.

Towntalk

The 1907 Sanborn Maps show the buildings you are referring as being in the Southeast corner of Elm and Rayen. St. Columba School was on the corner, followed by the Ursuline Academy.

If I'm not mistaken it was an all girls school at the time.

Towntalk

I don't think so. Somewhere in my files I have a photo of the Ursuline Motherhouse and the school that would later become Ursuline High School, but would have to dig thru a couple of dozen cd's to find them. When I find them I'll post them on my webshots site.

I'll also look through my map collection and see what I can find since they not only list the buildings but the addresses as well.

I have a postcard dated about 1912 that shows the YWCA along with Rayen when it was operating on Wick. I'll also put that up on my webshots site.

Pamphlet describing the project

http://www.ywca.org/atf/cf/%7B7BE6C5EB-CE7B-4E90-9441-3D61D21344BB%7D/YWCA%20Brochure[1].pdf

The building was built in 1911 for members of the YWCA. Like many YWCAs of the time, the Youngstown YWCA provided rooms for single women to rent in addition to providing recreational and social activities. YWCA Youngstown, which now has one other location, is still actively using this building as its headquarters. Housing is now provided for homeless families as well as homeless women. YWCA Youngstown has recently received grant money to convert its 36 existing single room units in this building into 30 self-contained efficiency and one-bedroom units.