News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Need Flag Disposal Locations

Started by jay, July 01, 2009, 06:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

No doubt that ceremonies can be quick and simple to long and elaborate. Simply depends on the organization and the time available.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

The most memorial flag disposal I ever saw was done by the Boy Scouts at the Canfield fair a few years ago.  I really wish I knew which troop it was.

They had dissassembled the flags by color, explained what each color stood for before placing in the fire.  At some point during the ceremony Taps was played.

On a side note, Austintown Troop 184 made the front page of last week's Town Crier. They were assisting American Legion Post 301 with their annual flag disposal.

sfc_oliver

And as the law now stands I will defend their right to express what they wish to call freedom of speech. That does not mean I have to agree with it.
The Amendment reads that Congress shall have the power to protect the flag from desecration. Only a constitutional amendment can change the supreme court ruling.
So until it is passed and ratified, American citizens can still pretend that burning the symbol of our freedom is freedom of speech. And I would still protect that right today.

iwasthere

sarge you fought for the rights of am citizens for their right to protest ag the usa government. why would you want to stop someone(s) the right of freedom of speech? this does not make sense with your thinking concerning ind(s)' freedoms.

Elmo-Ytown

The Boy Scouts do conduct flag retirement ceremonies, just contact any local troop, I think Troop 55 is located in Downtown Youngstown.

sfc_oliver

For information purposes. The American Legion has once again gotten it's sponsored Flag protection amendment into the House. This amendment has passed the house 6 years in a row and has lost in the Senate each year. Once by 1 vote. Seems to me most Americans wouldn't mind having their flag protected from desecration.

iwasthere

jay, iwasthere always enjoy  a flag burning to show the other countries of tolerance of one's political views. jay let the forum members where you are going to burn a flag to show political differences.

sfc_oliver

Actually the flag code does not specify who may retire a US Flag.

"  The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. "

I would prefer personally that someone who represents the government , or military conduct a service of some type. The boy scouts also have a service. But anyone can do it as long as it is dignified.

And the fourth should be fine as far as the day. It is an honorable day after all.

There's an American Legion Post on Glenwood that may be able to assist.

jay

sfc

Is it appropriate to conduct a flag retirement ceremony on the Fourth of July?

Does a branch of the military have to conduct the event?

I was hoping a flag retirement ceremony could be held after the Lansingville Parade.

sfc_oliver

There is a bin at the Lowellville town hall where residents and businesses can drop off flags. The American Legion Post 247 has a flag retirement ceremony annually. Attached photo is last years ceremony where a flag that had one time flew over the USS Texas was retired.

Why?Town

Go to your nearest American Legion Post.

jay

Are there any American flag disposal locations in the city of Youngstown?